Rag joint won't line up

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

GravyCrockett

Rag joint won't line up

Post by GravyCrockett »

Hey guys,
Long time, no see. Recently had a rag joint completely disintegrate on me, luckily I was close enough to home to get it back in one piece. Trying to install the new one, it appears that the steering shaft and steering box aren't lined up now. New rag joint won't slip onto splines. Any ideas? I tried loosening column and shifting into place but I don't have enough play. Thoughts?

Thanks!
69Ford
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Rag joint won't line up

Post by 69Ford »

Rust in the front cab supports most Likely. They rust out and the cab with the steering column move down toward the frame of the truck causing the frame mounted steering box not to line up with the column causing stress on the rag joint and lower steering column bearing. Hopefully this isn't your problem but it is the most likely scenario with these trucks. Lots of Bump's where scrapped because of this problem.
1969 Ford F100 Styleside standard cab 360 C6
GravyCrockett

Post by GravyCrockett »

Well crap. That was exactly what I was afraid of. Are you referring to the boxed frame support under the door? That's definitely rusted. What would the solution be, lift the body and weld a new support in?
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Yeah, pretty much. If you look at it you should be able to see if the cab mount frame has collapsed. You can also tell by looking down the bump line to see if it's straight or sagging between the fender and cab.

I've seen structural steel welded in place as well as an assortment of 2x4's holding the cab up. Dennis Carpenter sells the best repro or the parts can be grafted in from a dentside truck or bronco up to '79.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
69Ford
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 69Ford »

Here's a pic of one badly rusted.
Rust - Copy.JPG
GravyCrockett

Post by GravyCrockett »

So I did figure it out. It was the cross cab mount under the drivers door. Completely gone. Was able to jack it up at that point in order to align box to steering shaft.

Got everything in place nicely, took it for a drive and realized I didn't have 1st or reverse now. Seems that after I realigned everything, shift tube doesn't want to engage lower gears.

Any ideas on this one?
69Ford
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 69Ford »

DO NOT DRIVE IT until properly fixed. All you have done is put the weight of the cab onto the steering column and joint. The weight of the cab will cause these parts to wear very quickly and fail as you already found out with the destroyed rag joint. Steering is something you DO NOT want to fail. Also by moving the column you have changed the shift positions on the tranny. This can also be dangerous as you might not be able to get the truck into park. Nothing worse than having your truck roll away on you. Just my :2cents: