1972 Steering Column interchangeable?

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

vanleer4

1972 Steering Column interchangeable?

Post by vanleer4 »

:? Hello everyone,

Sorry to bug u I'm sure this question has been ask before, but I'm in a little bit in a pickle. My 72 steering column just broke on me, it appears that somewhere along the way an owner shortin it or at least attempt to and the weld gave out. Luckily it happened while backing into drive way and no one was injured.
So my question is, I heard 65-79 steering column are interchangeable, is this true? Mines an automatic with power steering.
I just wanna make sure before I go raid desert valley auto parts here in Casa Grande AZ, and get the correct steering column.
Also the part numbered in the picture #3A526 is what broke on me.
Thanks
Andrew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Van Leer4
Ford F-250 Camper Special
1968 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
1967 Chevrolet C20
Mach428
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: 1972 Steering Column interchangeable?

Post by Mach428 »

If yours worked fine before, why not have re-welded and reinstall? At least you know it fits and works
vanleer4

Post by vanleer4 »

Ok here's the skinny,
Sorry I forgot to mention and show why welding wouldn't be a good idea. The shaft has been grinded down and if we sleeved it to weld back together prolly would not hold up or fit thru the opening.

But does 65-79 steering columns interchangeable?
Or does anyone have any other ideas on what I can do because I finally got engine and daily driver squared away now she is just sitting waiting to burn rubber again.
Thanks
Andrew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Van Leer4
1967 Chevrolet C20
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

Andrew,

Does this answer your question?

http://www.fordification.com/tech/powersteering.htm

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
vanleer4

Post by vanleer4 »

Yes answered it, I just may have to weld her then. Man never thought steering columns were gonna be this diifficult to fix or find a donor.
Thanks for the info
Van Leer4
1967 Chevrolet C20