Brake Info

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

abnscout5w

Brake Info

Post by abnscout5w »

I have a few questions that I hope I can get help with. I have a 1967 F100 and ran across brackets from Scarebird Classic Brakes they say you use 1995-99 Dodge Ram rotors and GM Calipers to convert your drum to disc brakes. Has anyone used tried this? and with the different parts what make of brake booster and master cylinder would one use?

Todd
abnscout5w

Re: Brake Info

Post by abnscout5w »

Sorry I forgot to put the link in here it is

https://scarebird.com/index.php?route=p ... search=eff
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

I don’t have any experience with this setup, but is there any reason to not use Ford parts? For my F250, I had to get the brackets and dust shields from the junk yard, but everything else is available from the parts stores.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
MadMike

Post by MadMike »

colnago wrote:but is there any reason to not use Ford parts?
Parts availability and much shorter down time for the conversion. Not having to replace the whole I beam/knuckle, or trying to deal with old king pins to replace the knuckle makes the change over much simpler/faster.
-Michael
ultraranger
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by ultraranger »

...on the other hand, if you're installing new aftermarket parts on a suspension that has worn out bushings, steering linkages and kingpins, you haven't done much. The brakes will only work as good as the foundation they're being installed on.

If the suspension needs to be removed to replace worn out bushings and such, it just seems to make more sense to me to swap over to a later model Dentside Ford front suspension/brakes.

I've done this conversion on a '69 F100 and on a '72 F100.
Steve

1969 SWB F100 Ranger. 240-6, C-4, 9" N-case 31-spline Traction-Lok w/3.50 gears.

1968 Mustang. My high school car. Owned since 1982.

2003 Azure Blue Mustang Mach1.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

Any down-time should be the same, so not sure I understand this. I collected parts while continuing to drive with front drums, and spent a weekend swapping in the new parts.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.