Power Steering Pump Pulley Size?

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Power Steering Pump Pulley Size?

Post by colnago »

I have two power-steering pumps. One came off of a '71, but I have no idea about the other. Both have pullies installed. On one, the pulley diameter is about 5", and on the other, it's about 4-1/2". Assuming the pumps are both good, is there a "better" or "correct" pulley diameter? Or, is the difference so small, it becomes a "don't care"?

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
Mach428
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Power Steering Pump Pulley Size?

Post by Mach428 »

I believe the different pulleys will have different set-back. You should try to bolt them up and see if one will match your belt alignment
Belll03

Post by Belll03 »

It depends on the pulley on the other side
Mach428
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Mach428 »

I've never seen a crank or WP pulley with different set-back as both are fixed. The alt and PS pulleys vary as does the brackets that mount them
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

Mach428, you are correct. The offsets are very different. I'll probably use whichever one lines up with the unused groove on my crankshaft grooves.

I also noticed that one pump had "feet" cast into its body where it mounts to the bracket. Also, one of them has one flat spot along the back edge, and the other has two. Final note of possible interest. One of the dipsticks said to use ATF fluid.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.