Question on rear brakes

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

JIMO2

Question on rear brakes

Post by JIMO2 »

I have a 1967 f100 with factory 9 inch rear and I was missing the shoe crosslinks (the horizontal bar between the shoes for the parking brake) and the parking brake actuator arms as well. I found some and put them in. I am not positive they are correct but fit in there. I think they are 1-3/4 brake shoes.

My concern is the clearance between the said crosslinks and the backside of the axle flange wheel studs. I only have an 1/8th inch of space for the rotation of the axle. The crosslinks I used were Bendix 316274 as were used in 73-79 f100 and f150.

****If anybody with a half ton has their drums off......please take a look....

-How much space between the crosslink and the axle flange/studs??
Thanks-Jim

IMG_1701small.jpg
IMG_1700Small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim

"I love it when a plan comes together"
JIMO2

Re: Question on rear brakes

Post by JIMO2 »

Well...did lots of digging and the 1967 F100 is the last to use 1.75" rear brake shoes. In 1968 they went to 2.25". The crosslinks I would like to use are from 1973-1979 F-100 and F150's....no good for the narrower shoes in my '67. Not being able to get them anywhere, I decided to modify the ones I had. I offset them by a 1/4".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim

colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

I don't know anything about the half-tons, but you might try Rock Auto for brake parts. Tney were my go-to place for my 3/4-ton.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
JIMO2

Post by JIMO2 »

colnago wrote:I don't know anything about the half-tons, but you might try Rock Auto for brake parts. Tney were my go-to place for my 3/4-ton.

Joseph

Thanks but I did try Rock Auto and the brake shoe crosslink is not in their listing. I was able to locate ONE nos on Ebay but at $35 for it and the fact I needed two, I decided to modify the ones I had. The problem is now solved.
Jim