PS Box stripped out...

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

Ranchero50

PS Box stripped out...

Post by Ranchero50 »

Welp, that sucks. Steering column has made a random popping sound when I steer full lock ever since I put it together. Always figured it was just the column not aligned. Well, today while getting fuel before running down county to my brothers place to borrow a trailer instead of a random pop I got pop pop pop and the wheel was no longer level with the truck going straight. Thought, that's flipping weird. Next light, popped the horn ring off expecting the nut to be loose. Nope... Make a right, three turns of the wheel with random popcorn sounds coming up the column to get it headed back home. This sucks, then it's wanting to go in a ditch and then in the other lane. Almost as much fun as wrasling a greased hog. Made it home without sharing paint with anything, hop out and with the door open look at the steering shaft while turning the wheel expecting to see something loose down there. Nope, dang shaft is turning inside the box while the box itself is popping.

Fired up the bike, rode to me folks place in 40 ish salt covered roads and borrowed dad's '03 F-250. Lugged it down to my brothers and got the trailer loaded. He doesn't have any boxes either so now I need to buy one. Looks like limited lifetime from Autozone is only $140 plus fluid.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
1970FordTK
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: PS Box stripped out...

Post by 1970FordTK »

Aint it amazing how them old Bumps at least get you home even though they break stuff. :D
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Ouch! I'll bet the pucker factor was high on that ride. :pray:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Yep. I'm curious what broke. My brother said he's heard of the late model ones having an aluminum coupling that'll crack and give the same results. IDK...

Now I have to juggle junk to get some stuff done. Heading to Jersey later today to pick up the Jag which has a cooling leak which means it's probably watered down. Truck is in the way, 656 Cummins swap is hogging the garage, I have a landscape trailer that needs welding where the tractor's going to sit and I have a couple piles of firewood that needs processed. Of course everything is snow covered as well.

I think the truck will fit on my brother's car trailer so maybe I'll load it so I can work on it out of the mud. :hmm:

Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

So, as an update. NAPA can no longer get the PS box from the manufacturer but has one in a store down by DC, possibly the last one in the system locally. Price is better than Autozone but what good is a lifetime warranty if you can't get a replacement. Supposed to be here Tuesday.