tire wear-camber

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

R.Smith
Preferred User
Preferred User

tire wear-camber

Post by R.Smith »

Hey all, been a few years since I posted (got married). Anyway, I have a front end question.

My 70 F250 has been eating up tires on the outer edge for as long as I've had it. I've checked the king pins, tie rod ends ect and everything seems tight. I know that the only way to adjust camber is to bend the axles but, I really don't think that's the problem. when I first got the truck, the driver side was slouching lower than the passenger. So I changed the shocks. No change. So I went to the local spring dealer and bought a pair of coils that the guy behind the counter said were "a little bit stiffer but, should be fine". On top of this, the original ac compressor has been removed and the cast iron intake replaced with an aluminum Edelbrock. All in all, I figure the front end is around 200-250 lbs lighter than when it rolled off the line. I think this, combined with the stiffer springs is whats throwing my camber off.

Has anyone ever dealt with this and, is my theory sound? Also, whats the word on "variable rate" coil springs.

Thanks.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: tire wear-camber

Post by colnago »

First, I doubt if you removed more than 100 lbs from the engine. The stock manifold is heavy, but it's not THAT heavy. I think it weighs in at around 80 lbs, so you only took off 40 or 50 lbs by going with an aluminum intake.

Second, your springs might be too long, especially if the guy just said that they should be fine. Are they for Ford trucks, or just something that are the right diameter? I ended up going with Moog. They're supposed to be variable-rate, but I wouldn't know it. It's a 3/4-ton truck, so they're stiff as frozen snot. I had the opposite problem as you. The PO wanted to lower the truck, but he didn't want to spend any money, so he just removed about 3" from the length of the springs. That dropped the front, but it radically changed the camber. New springs were probably my first change.

If you get a chance, post a photo from the front of your truck, and another photo of how your springs are set up. Maybe it will give us some ideas.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
R.Smith
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by R.Smith »

I'll take some pics in the morning. Thanks.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Yep, are your swing arms level, aiming up at the tire or down at the tire? Mine are slightly up with the 6bt holding the front end down but so far the tires are fine with it.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by HIO Silver »

Are you sure it's a camber issue? Excessive toe-in will also cause the outer treads to wear.

Set toe-in at 1/8-inch to account for road crown and splay.

Setting toe is really easy to do with two lengths of steel rod and two tape measures. The suspension must be loaded.. I prefer to set jackstands under the I-beams and also remove the wheels/tires: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTkSwuXKWpM