Time to replace tires

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

Clunker

Time to replace tires

Post by Clunker »

I have been putting this off for a few years now, but the almost-bald tires on my 1970 F250 have cracks in the sidewalls, so it's time to bite the bullet. Here's the question. Has anyone put 17" rims on their bump? Did it look like a kid was trying to make it look tough, or did it look classy?

My Xterra came with tires that I hate. It sounds like driving on a washboard, but they still have better than 90% tread, so I can't justify replacing them. However, turns out that they are the same outside diameter as stock on the truck, and they are E-rated. I'd seriously doubt I could hear that tread noise over headers and the trademark bump wind noise, so all I need is a set of 17" rims. Any thoughts?
1970 F250 CS: 360, RV cam, Edelbrock Performer 390 intake, Holley 600, headers, Pertronix II, Flamethrower coil.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Time to replace tires

Post by colnago »

I guess my thoughts are that these trucks originally came with 16.5"rims, so what's another half-inch, and I had a Silverado that came with 16" rims from the factory, and it looked great with 17" rims. As long as you don't go crazy with rim styles, I think it would look fine.

Just mt two cents,

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
Clunker

Post by Clunker »

For some reason I was thinking that the original wheels were 15", but you're right they were 16.5". The PO replaced them with 16", and I want to move to 17". Can't imagine it will make too much difference in appearance. However, I was wrong about the outside diameter. The newer tires are actually nearly an inch shorter (LT245-70R17). Having taller rims with lower profile tires might still look goofy. At the same time, I will be using this truck almost exclusively for towing, and shorter tires might be a good thing for reducing the final drive ratio since I have a 3.73 rear instead of a 4.10. Also, aluminum will make them lighter. I swear the beasts on there right now must weigh 100 lbs. each. Anyone have any pics of what this might look like?
1970 F250 CS: 360, RV cam, Edelbrock Performer 390 intake, Holley 600, headers, Pertronix II, Flamethrower coil.
Clunker

Post by Clunker »

I just took another look. The reason the existing tires are taller than the new ones, even though I remembered them being the same, is because the PO installed oversized tires (265/75R16). Should look great. Now where do I find aluminum rims with the right lug pattern that are hub-centric?
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

I think you need lug-centric, not hub-centric (somebody, please correct if I mis-spoke). Also, make sure whatever you find will fit over the rear axle hub. I don't remember the exact diameter, but it's huge!

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
Clunker

Post by Clunker »

The rear hub is 4.75", and it doesn't look like anyone makes wheels with that specific size bore anymore. I found some alloys with an oversized bore, but then the wheels are lug-centric instead of hub-centric. If you have an oversized bore, then all of the weight rests on those lugs. I hear you can get spacers that bridge the gap.

Anyway, it is probably a moot point. To get those rims, pair them with the 17" tires, get new tires for the Xterra, and mount and balance both sets is about $1,500. Just getting a new set of tires for the F250 is half that, so I may just live with tires on the Xterra for now.