Rear Drum Brake Backing Plates

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

massillon preacher

Rear Drum Brake Backing Plates

Post by massillon preacher »

It appears there are no replacement backing plates for my 71 F100 , what have you guys did to restore them, clean, paint etc to get rid of the hideous rusted things?
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Rear Drum Brake Backing Plates

Post by sargentrs »

I media blasted and painted mine. Cleaned thoroughly, blasted with Black Diamond fine grit, 2 coats of Eastwood Rust Encapsulator, 2 coats of Eastwood Chassis Black.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
TNIceWolf
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by TNIceWolf »

i used just what paint i had lying around that was left over from other projects. Used wire wheels on a drill and die grinder to clean the rust and gunk off along with some sandpaper. To finish cleaning any residue from oil and such I used dawn detergent and water along with a stiff brush and dried in the sun on the hood of the truck. Turned out not bad. You can see the finished job in my project link in my signature below.
Find 'em....Buy 'em....Fix 'em.....Drive 'em....Love 'em

HHC 4/67AR.... Bandits.....88-92

Presently in the stable
1969 Ford F-350 DRW
1989 Chevy S-10 Tahoe ( It gets me to work and back and fetches parts and groceries)
1981 Buick Regal ( My deceased uncles last project/driver....renamed project Regal Eagle to be finished in his honor)
1990 Ford F-150 ( Miss Yvonnes Daily Driver )
My F-350 project http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=41744
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

Electrolysis for rust removal (basically, dump soda into water, and use a battery trickle charger to create a current; you can find detailed info on google). Phosphoric acid and elbow grease for stubborn paint (you can get the acid at Home Depot for ~$17/gal; I think they call it "Prep and Etch"). I don't have a blaster, and I can set up my electrolysis tank and leave it for a couple of days while it does its thing.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.