Yet another brake conversion

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

jjdeal79

Yet another brake conversion

Post by jjdeal79 »

Hello all!
I am working on my '72 F-100. 360, auto, 2wd, drums on all four. Allong with a guage issue, I want to upgrade stopping power.
It has manual brakes and I want to put on a booster, and maybe a new master cylinder. In a perfect world, will the wheel cylinders need to be changed too? It seems that the wheel cylinders do not designate boosted or manual brakes. Current master seems to be working as it should, pedal is tight.
I'll also have to install the vacuum lines. Seems best location is out of the manifold, which will be fine. Any hose recomendations? Should I, is there a way to measure vacuum?
I assume I need an adjustable push rod. Are those included on remanufactured units?
As always, thanks for reading....
-JJD-
1968 F100 4X4, 360, manual everything, project truck, 4th owner!
1972 F100, 360, C6 was “parts truck", heavily molested before I got it, but it runs great!
2004 Taurus wagon, original owner, 200,000+ and zero major repairs!
2020 F350 6.7 adventure machine
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Yet another brake conversion

Post by colnago »

You should be able to keep the wheel cylinders. I've never heard of manual-vs-power wheel cylinders.

If you add a booster, you will need a pair of the parallelogram-shaped standoffs for mounting it to the firewall. I don't think you can get them new, so you might have to scrounge the junk yards for a set.

You may also need a new master cylinder. With manual brakes, the MC has a deep pocket to help hold the rod. With power brakes, the booster has a piston that doesn't go into the MC as far. An alternative is to get an adapter (Right Stuff MCBUL01 is one, but you'd better check the diameter of the pocket before ordering).

My booster gets vacuum from the rear of my carb, but that's because the PO put an Edelbrock in, and it has a vacuum port. You could also go directly to the manifold (maybe use a "T" adapter where the tranny gets its vacuum, if you have an auto). I didn't get any special line; it was just rubber hose that any auto part store carries. As far as measuring vacuum, you can get a vacuum gauge (and should probably have one it the toolbox anyway, since you'll want it for tuning the carb and timing).

I don't know if you'll need an adjustable pushrod or not. I have a '67, which is different from the other years, and it doesn't use an adjustable rod. If you mean the pushrod between the booster and MC, then yes, it is adjustable, and comes with the booster.

Hope this helps,

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.