Brake line compatibility

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

sb4boys

Brake line compatibility

Post by sb4boys »

Are the brake lines on a 69 F-100 SWB compatible with a 68 F-100 SWB? I found new pre-formed line sets for a 69 but not for a 68? Any help would be appreciated.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Brake line compatibility

Post by sargentrs »

Yes, they should be. Almost all of the brake lines are the same with the variations being in regard to length, LWB vs SWB, or particular model. I wouldn't be surprised if the 4wd lines were a little different from the 2wd lines, or F-250 vs F-100. Maybe even a '67 might have something unique. But a '68 F-100 vs a '69 F-100 should be identical. in stock configuration.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
sb4boys

Post by sb4boys »

Thanks, would most items on the 69 fit a 68? I have a tough time finding items for this truck. N.P.D. is hit and miss, as with many others. Is there a one stop shopping supplier for this year model?
71Fe2O3

Post by 71Fe2O3 »

In general, there is broad compatibility between parts, especially between 68 and 72, but the devil is always in the details. Ford used several engines and transmissions in these trucks, and previous owners may have made their own modifications. You need to dig in to it, ask questions, and do the research.

With regard to brake lines, consider the ones made of copper-nickel-iron alloy if you want to do your own-they are much easier to bend and flare than the standard steel ones. Pre-formed lines can be quite expensive compared to doing it yourself.

One-stop shopping? Not that I know of. You will be able to get much of what you need to keep it running from auto parts stores, as you would for modern vehicles. I re-did my brakes last year-new cylinders, hoses, lines, master cylinder, shoes and hardware, and got everything from the local NAPA-most was in stock, some parts needed to be ordered, but they were able to get everything I needed. More specialized parts that auto parts stores don't stock are available from Dennis Carpenter and other such suppliers-they all have easily searchable websites. Body parts such as fenders, hoods etc are a bit more challenging; used parts may be available in salvage yards in some parts of the country, otherwise check eBay, craigslist, or ask around here. Body shop supply companies may have reproduction parts. Popular aftermarket suppliers such as Dennis Carpenter and LMC have some body parts, cab supports etc.-check reviews here to find out about quality. Good luck on your project.
Fred

1970 F100 4WD short bed, 360 engine, very rusty plow and yard truck

1971 F100 2WD long bed, 302 engine, on the road

1968 F100 2WD long bed, 360 engine, stripping for parts