1968 1/2 ton power steering.

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

busy161

1968 1/2 ton power steering.

Post by busy161 »

I have been working on ford trucks many years. I have owned many. I have a 68 1/2 ton shorty I bought awhile back that had 6 banger 3 on tree. We rebuilt front end stock using urethane bushing and new coil springs. I added power steering. I used a Saginaw pump and Saginaw Ford New rebuilt box. The problem is the steering feels tight while driving. To the point it is uncomfortable. The front end has been check and everything is good. I checked pressures off GM pump and it reads 375-450 sitting turning the wheel and 1200 PSI when clocked to one side. I called re-builder and they sent another one thinking the steering gear might be flawed. The second one is the same. Does anyone have a suggestion? I have bought these used and bolted them in and never had a problem. The old one I had in first place was never test driven has it had bad leak. That is why i just bought reman'ed one from Power Brake Exchange. They are in PA I believe. Nice guys and said they re-built 1000's of steering gears. I trust them but still have a tight wheel while driving.
The truck currently has 460 with C-6 and stock size tires along with stock style front suspension.