PS Questions

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

AbigailHigginbottom

PS Questions

Post by AbigailHigginbottom »

I have a 67 that I put a 72 PS steering box with a 78 power steering pump. Everything seems to line up just fine, I just need to fix it up with new lines. I have a couple questions for you folks.
1) is there a high pressure line and a low pressure line? The existing lines seem to be a little different with the line from the bottom of the pump seems to be low pressure.
2) can I use a different newer pump(78)? Are there any things to beware of?
3) how do I bleed the air from the lines?
Thanks
ultraranger
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: PS Questions

Post by ultraranger »

Power steering pump brackets are specific to each engine family. What engine do you have?

The stock PS pump from '67-'77 was the Thompson 'pencil neck' pump. It had a stamped steel reservoir and a skinny filler neck/dipstick tube.

In '78, the Thompson PS pump was phased out for the Ford CII (C-2) PS pump. It had a plastic reservoir and a large diameter filler neck/dipstick tube.

The 360/390 FE engine was phased out of production in 1976. This was two model years before the C-2 PS pump came out in '78 so, no factory brackets to mount the C-2 pump to an FE engine.

The C-2 PS pump will fit 240/300 and 302 engines though. I have a C-2 PS pump/brackets/pulleys on the inline 240 in my truck that came off of an '82 Bullnose F150 that had an inline 300 six cylinder in it.

The smaller line fitting on top of the Saginaw PS gearbox is the pressure line. The larger line fitting on top of the steering gearbox is the return line.
Steve

1969 SWB F100 Ranger. 240-6, C-4, 9" N-case 31-spline Traction-Lok w/3.50 gears.

1968 Mustang. My high school car. Owned since 1982.

2003 Azure Blue Mustang Mach1.
AbigailHigginbottom

Post by AbigailHigginbottom »

I have a 240 str 6.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

ultraranger,

Do you have any links that talk about the differences in PS pumps through the years? I have two "pencil-neck" pumps that differ, and I'd like to find out why/when.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
ultraranger
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by ultraranger »

colnago wrote:ultraranger,

Do you have any links that talk about the differences in PS pumps through the years? I have two "pencil-neck" pumps that differ, and I'd like to find out why/when.

Joseph
I don't have any links. I guess it's just a matter you would have to do an Internet search on the subject. The Thompson PS pump actually came out in 1965. In '65/'66, it had a stamped steel reservoir but, it had a larger diameter fillneck/dipstick tube.

'67 is when the dipstick tube was reduced in diameter. In 1977, there was a variant with an extra return port on it for use in a Lincoln Versailles with hydroboost brakes.
Steve

1969 SWB F100 Ranger. 240-6, C-4, 9" N-case 31-spline Traction-Lok w/3.50 gears.

1968 Mustang. My high school car. Owned since 1982.

2003 Azure Blue Mustang Mach1.