Mc/pb ???

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

jspd234

Mc/pb ???

Post by jspd234 »

Hi all! I acquired a 04 cv for the front, I pulled an irs from a t bird with pdb, and a 92 rolled f150 for the still runs good 302/e4od combo(temporary til I get a coyote or build a powerful engine), any suggestions on the power booster / master cylinder combo (take it out of the f150 or the cv) or do I need to go a completely different way? What have you done? What works good? What doesn't?
72sb2wd
MadMike

Re: Mc/pb ???

Post by MadMike »

I believe the CV and T-bird both used a 1" bore MC.
To maintain brake lines on the same side and a factory look, use a '73 Mustang BMC.
Verify that the register bore/bolt pattern/pushrod length will work with the existing booster.

Parts truck may have the correct size BMC, but the fittings may be on the opposite side and will most likely be an AL body with plastic reservoir. This will save weight but not look factory. It also may be an angled mount. Which would not work properly(reservoir) with the horizontal mounting of the original.

CV I believe uses an angle mount BMC.

Booster is more of a preference when it comes to sizing. Not enough assist, why bother and too much assist will make brake modulation impossible.

IMHO keep things simple for a toy/daily. Use parts that are readily available. Install an adjustable proportional valve for the rear brakes.

Do your math for your brakes, verify the front and rear caliper sizing will work together so you can maintain correct bias, use an adjustable PV to fine tune. Rotor and wheel sizing will affect bias as well.
-Michael
jspd234

Re: Mc/pb ???

Post by jspd234 »

Thanks for the input!!! Finally starting to pull the front clip to pull the motor/trans to start the CV swap!!!
72sb2wd