Automatic, Power steering column rebuild question

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

OLDYELLAR68

Automatic, Power steering column rebuild question

Post by OLDYELLAR68 »

I am working on rebuilding a 71 F100 Automatic transmission, power steering column. I have all my parts, and am starting to reassemble things. I am having trouble installing the shift tube, shift lever and return spring. I have tried dropping the return spring down into the bottom of the column, then installing the shift tube from the top, but the return spring is in the way of the shift lever slot, and will not allow the shift lever to be inserted to engage with the shift tube. It seems like the only way this will go together is if install the return spring on the lower end of the shift tube, slide the tube into the column, and then insert the shift lever, engaging it with the shift tube. This would end up with the spring being installed between the shift lever and the flange on the shift tube. This does not match up with the column reassembly instructions on the "How to shorten a manual steering column" but I am wondering if some of these columns were built slightly different. Anyone have any suggestions?
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Automatic, Power steering column rebuild question

Post by sargentrs »

Takes a 3 arm gorilla to reassemble it back together. However, the spring goes on top of the lever. You pretty much have to have everything ready to put back together before you can do that. Slide the shift tube in with the spring slid onto the end. Slide the shift collar over the top of the shift tube. Stick the lever into the slot on the column housing. Insert your finger into the bottom end of the column housing and "feel" till you have everything lined up as best you can. Apply pressure at the shift collar to compress the spring. Use your finger in the end to keep the alignment. The critical thing is to get that tab on the shift tube lined up with the slot in the lever. Keep pressing down with the shift collar till it's all lined up and in place. Then you have to hold it that way until you finish assembly. Duct tape across the top works or you can tie a rope all the way around the top to bottom. Another trick is to run a long wire all the way down the shift tube and hook it over the bottom of the column housing. The real fun part is getting the tube flange bolts re-installed. Here's something I wrote up awhile back. There are some pretty good tips by other members toward the end. http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... hp?t=72274
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
OLDYELLAR68

Post by OLDYELLAR68 »

Thanks very much Sargentrs, that cleared most everything up, I used a piece of insulated copper wire in place of the rope to hold tension on everything, then tried putting the square headed bolts in the turn signal housing with just a turn or two on them, worked like a charm! This was the first trial run without the turn signal in, and I found out I have quite a bit of slop where the pin goes through the shift collar holding the shift lever in. Got any recommends on a good aftermarket shift collar? Looking at LMC and Dennis Carpenter about the same price. Also on shrink tubing the wiring harness, did you just cover the portion of the wires going through column chase, or did you go all the way up to the backside of the turn signal assembly?
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

OLDYELLAR68 wrote:"I found out I have quite a bit of slop where the pin goes through the shift collar holding the shift lever in."
If thats your only issue with the shift collar, I wouldn't worry about replacing it. My original pin was pretty sloppy too. When I rebuilt mine, I went to the local parts store and browsed through their supply of drive pins (i.e. roll pins) and found one the right diameter/length to fit snugly through the collar. IIRC, I may have had to grind down the length a bit. Took all the slack out of that location nicely. As for quality parts, I prefer DC. And I did shrink tube the entire length of the TSS wiring harness. Good luck!
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
OLDYELLAR68

Post by OLDYELLAR68 »

All right, sounds like a plan, thanks again sargentrs.