Stock Dana 60 rear axle to Dually

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

briansbronco

Stock Dana 60 rear axle to Dually

Post by briansbronco »

I need some feedback here on going from single to duals on my 4x4 f250. Are the single wheel and Dually hubs the same? If so I can just go pick up a set and swap them out. Easier to go with a spacer on the stock axle but I'm not keen on that honestly. Even the steel spacers seem sort of contrived. Just need to convert the rear, I have plans for the front axle.
1970 F250 4x4 SC Flatbed.
1968 F350 DRW Service body.
1969 F250 4x4 SC DRW
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do evil on their behalf"---Orwell
briansbronco

Re: Stock Dana 60 rear axle to Dually

Post by briansbronco »

I've been doing a little research and it looks like the wheel studs are the same diameter for the f-250 and f-350 with the factory Dually just being longer. Can anyone tell me if a stock Dually wheel will bolt onto the back axle of a single wheel without touching the springs? My goal is to tuck them under the bed as much as possible to I'm not concerned with offset.
1969 F250 4x4 SC DRW
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do evil on their behalf"---Orwell
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

briansbronco wrote:I've been doing a little research and it looks like the wheel studs are the same diameter for the f-250 and f-350 with the factory Dually just being longer. Can anyone tell me if a stock Dually wheel will bolt onto the back axle of a single wheel without touching the springs? My goal is to tuck them under the bed as much as possible to I'm not concerned with offset.

Don't know if dually wheels will clear the springs as is. That's full offset wheels. The late 70's saw many trucks converted to dually. the inner wheel was a flat disc truly flat. Then the outer wheel was a normal dually wheel. This set them apart enough required no spacer but then pushed them out and the added dually fenders. I know an 80-96 cab chassis axle is exact dimensions as a high boy. So being narrow frame highboy it may work and not touch the springs. The flat disc conversion wheels i am talking where all 2wd. So on a highboy you may skate by. I've got a spare can give it a try tomorrow. Put my 94 f350 dually spare on the highboy.
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
briansbronco

Post by briansbronco »

Manny wrote:
briansbronco wrote:I've been doing a little research and it looks like the wheel studs are the same diameter for the f-250 and f-350 with the factory Dually just being longer. Can anyone tell me if a stock Dually wheel will bolt onto the back axle of a single wheel without touching the springs? My goal is to tuck them under the bed as much as possible to I'm not concerned with offset.

Don't know if dually wheels will clear the springs as is. That's full offset wheels. The late 70's saw many trucks converted to dually. the inner wheel was a flat disc truly flat. Then the outer wheel was a normal dually wheel. This set them apart enough required no spacer but then pushed them out and the added dually fenders. I know an 80-96 cab chassis axle is exact dimensions as a high boy. So being narrow frame highboy it may work and not touch the springs. The flat disc conversion wheels i am talking where all 2wd. So on a highboy you may skate by. I've got a spare can give it a try tomorrow. Put my 94 f350 dually spare on the highboy.

Or you could just put a tape measure on it. Spring to Wheel mounting surface should tell the tale. If you have a spare Dually wheel.
1969 F250 4x4 SC DRW
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

It's no trouble i will tape it tomorrow or mock it up. Working my bedside toolbox into place may need the tire out of the way anyway. That being the case i will mock it 100% :thup:
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

There are a few other things that come into play here gentlemen, (other than just measuring spring center-lines) to change a single wheel truck to a DRW. The F-350 uses a narrowed D-70 rear axle with 9/16" wheel studs that are 2 & 1/4" long, (for the required "coined" wheels to bolt up) you do not want to attempt to bolt up non coined 97' up hub centric dually wheels just because you can find them easily=BAD MISTAKE!
And the frame rails on the F-350 DRW truck are 4" narrower than the single wheel truck frame, (you should see this on your spring center line measurements taken) so tucking the dual wheels under a single axle D-60 or D-70 becomes not possible due to the common offset of dually wheels which I believe was 4 & 1/2", (the same D-70 DRW wheels on a single axle D-70 or D-60 axle will protrude about 4" wider than a DRW D-70 dually axle by attempting to do this.)

It's actually pretty funny as I've seen several of these "conversions" running down the road-and believe me-with the wider rear axle this can be spotted a mile away and can barely keep the rear wheels inside the white lines!

And photobucket wins again as I could've shown you the difference in the rear axles. :cuss:
There's also D-70 axle weight comparisons that come into play here as the bearings on the DRW D-70 rear axle are much larger in diameter than the single axle D-70 or D-60.
Yeah...you can bolt dual wheels onto about anything but you have to ask yourself first: IS IT SAFE, (FORGOT TO MENTION THE DRW D-70 AXLE USES 3" WIDE BRAKE PADS VERSUS 2 & 12" WIDE ON A SINGLE WHEEL D-60 OR A SINGLE WHEEL D-70 AXLE)- and next WILL IT ACTUALLY SERVE THE PURPOSE OF A DUALLY AND HAUL THE WEIGHT IF THE WHEELS ARE NOT PROPERLY CENTERED OVER THE MASSIVE D-70 DRW HUB?
Asking a minion to do the job of an elephant would be a good expression here guys. :shh:

And here's where the frame rail width comes into play making the DRW D-70 axle narrower:

http://www.fordification.com/tech/chass ... arison.htm
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
briansbronco

Post by briansbronco »

Jeff I am very aware of the differences in them. I am guessing you didn't look at my signature line where it states that I own both a Dually and a couple single rear wheel trucks. If you had read the earlier posts you would also know that I am aware of the stud length differences between the two. Now then one thing you said that I just don't agree with is this. The Dana 70 and the Dana 60 are not an "elephant and a minion" far from it actually. The Dana 70 is minimally and arguably heavier duty, but by a small margin could it be considered stronger. There are actually very few differences, one being the brakes that you mentioned. The main difference in the two are the width that you mentioned and the spring pack used. The Dana 60 has been used for decades in factory Dually configurations, many trucks over several manufacturers. I didn't see any mention of that in your post. So here is what I am essentially trying to say. I know where you're coming from. I understand what you are saying but in this case it is certainly strong enough to do the job I am attempting to do and with the correct wheel studs pressed into the hubs it should work just fine.

Now to the point which is the question that I asked and that Manny and I were discussing, will it fit? I don't have a set of correct wheels here to measure or swap to my truck or I would not have asked the question. Will it work if they will go under the truck? Yes it will. Like you I have seen it done many times with various other trucks just not a 69 f250 in particular. So that is the reason for the question.
1969 F250 4x4 SC DRW
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

"briansbronco"]Jeff I am very aware of the differences in them. I am guessing you didn't look at my signature line where it states that I own both a Dually and a couple single rear wheel trucks. If you had read the earlier posts you would also know that I am aware of the stud length differences between the two. Now then one thing you said that I just don't agree with is this. The Dana 70 and the Dana 60 are not an "elephant and a minion" far from it actually. The Dana 70 is minimally and arguably heavier duty, but by a small margin could it be considered stronger. There are actually very few differences, one being the brakes that you mentioned. The main difference in the two are the width that you mentioned and the spring pack used. The Dana 60 has been used for decades in factory Dually configurations, many trucks over several manufacturers. I didn't see any mention of that in your post. So here is what I am essentially trying to say. I know where you're coming from. I understand what you are saying but in this case it is certainly strong enough to do the job I am attempting to do and with the correct wheel studs pressed into the hubs it should work just fine.

Now to the point which is the question that I asked and that Manny and I were discussing, will it fit? I don't have a set of correct wheels here to measure or swap to my truck or I would not have asked the question. Will it work if they will go under the truck? Yes it will. Like you I have seen it done many times with various other trucks just not a 69 f250 in particular. So that is the reason for the question.

Dude...I could go into the differences in the diameter of the DRW Dana 70 wheel bearings / the differences in the DRW Dana 70 pinion bearings to hold the load of a one ton / the differences in the axle shaft diameter of the Dana 70 to carry the dual wheel one tone load / and the diameter of the axle tube itself to carry the load of a DRW Dana 70 one ton... :nono:
But it sound like you got it all figured out so I'll just wish you luck in your endeavor and pray I'm never behind this truck you've Frankensteined. :wink:
DOT will love it too I'm sure. :lol:
Jeff
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
briansbronco

Post by briansbronco »

Dude..... I love the term and tone of your posts. Frankenstein? Really? For asking a question on fitment....DUDE? Dude, you need to lighten up, Dude. We don't have very many DOT in the Great state of Montana Dude.... We pretty much just do whatever we want to do here Dude, especially with our own vehicles....Dude.
1969 F250 4x4 SC DRW
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

:doh:
Jeff
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

Jeff is a well respected member and won't steer you in the wrong direction - I've leaned on him more than a few times because of his knowledge of DRW Bumps. Just saying...
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
briansbronco

Post by briansbronco »

I have no doubt. Here's the thing. I asked a question, not a complicated question, a very simple one. His response was both belligerent and condescending and still did not answer the question that was asked. Making inferences of knowledge when in fact he has no idea who he's talking to. That's the problem, not his knowledge base.
1969 F250 4x4 SC DRW
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

"briansbronco"]I have no doubt. Here's the thing. I asked a question, not a complicated question, a very simple one. His response was both belligerent and condescending and still did not answer the question that was asked. Making inferences of knowledge when in fact he has no idea who he's talking to. That's the problem, not his knowledge base.
:hn:
Jeff
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
briansbronco

Post by briansbronco »

I did a little fitment test today and to answer my own question, Yes there is room for a dual wheel to fit on the rear axle of a 69 f250 without a spacer. Now certainly the studs will need to be changed for the longer f-350 studs but that's about all one would need to make it work. I borrowed a spare original Dually wheel for this same year truck and it bolted right up. So there ya go...
1969 F250 4x4 SC DRW
farmallmta

Post by farmallmta »

Other than looks, what is the reason for converting an F-250 to dual rear wheels? :? Won't the limiting factor of the truck still be the springs, frame, shocks and brakes when it comes to loads? Tires really aren't the maximum load problem. Ford in general was very competent at designing the major components to be compatible. it's not like they said, "let's make the F-250 totally as strong as the F-350, but slap dual wheels on the 350 and charge a whole lot more."