F-250 wheels, tires, axles, and brakes?

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

F-250 wheels, tires, axles, and brakes?

Post by JoshT »

I may be able to get my hands on an F-250 donor for my future project truck. Well since F-250 4x4 is more truck than F-100 4x4, I suppose that the F-250 would become the project and the F-100 would become the donor.

I've only seen pictures of the truck on Craigslist, but I can tell that at a minimum I'll need a wheel and probably a couple of tires just to get it loaded onto a trailer to drag home. Will eventually put nicer wheels on, but right now I just want to pick up some cheap steel wheels with tires that hold air. Am I correct in thinking that I need 8 on 6.5" lug pattern? Am I right in thinking that the lug pattern stayed on the E-250 & E-250 until 1997? Any other suggestions as to what other vehicles I can find wheels from?

The wheels from my dad's 2000 F-250 won't fit right? I think they are 8x170mm. Would be nice if I could borrow his spare, that would take care of getting it onto the trailer if the other three would hold air.

For a stock bumpside F-250, what tire size would I be looking for? Could I fit 32s on a stock F-250 or a slight lift? The truck I'll be looking at is supposedly lifted, but I don't know how much and I intend to remove the lift.

Long term goals in this area would be brake upgrades and nice alloy wheels.

I would eventually like to upgrade brakes to disk in front and at a minimum the largest drum I can get in the rear, though 4 wheel disks would be preferred (just cause). I know the 5 lug D44 has an upgrade option, anything available for the 8 lug? What are the options with the Dana 60 rear?

I like a lot of Ford's factory alloy wheel options, but don't see to many take off sets from 90s trucks on craigslist around here. I'll probably end up with 90s alloys or aftermarket, but I do like a lot of ford's 2000+ alloys. Any path for upgrading stock axles to 8x170 mm lug pattern aside from wheel adapters?
1968 F-100 4x4 long bed - 360 FE - NP435 w/ Dana 21 - PS & PB conversion - Front Disc Swap - 265/75R16 - 1" S.L. & 2" B.L. (to be removed) - Homemade tube bumpers - Warn 8274 - Currently wearing 1970 body
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: F-250 wheels, tires, axles, and brakes?

Post by basketcase0302 »

"JoshT" I may be able to get my hands on an F-250 donor for my future project truck. Well since F-250 4x4 is more truck than F-100 4x4, I suppose that the F-250 would become the project and the F-100 would become the donor.
I've only seen pictures of the truck on Craigslist, but I can tell that at a minimum I'll need a wheel and probably a couple of tires just to get it loaded onto a trailer to drag home. Will eventually put nicer wheels on, but right now I just want to pick up some cheap steel wheels with tires that hold air. Am I correct in thinking that I need 8 on 6.5" lug pattern?
Yes
Am I right in thinking that the lug pattern stayed on the E-250 & E-250 until 1997? Any other suggestions as to what other vehicles I can find wheels from?
Yes and also Dodge up to 97' uses the same 8 X 6.5 lug pattern as our early Fords.
The wheels from my dad's 2000 F-250 won't fit right?
THEY WILL FIT AND THEY WILL BOLT UP-BUT WILL NOT CENTER ON THE HUB PROPERLY AS THEY ARE "HUB CENTRIC" WHEELS. You could use them to get it on the trailer but chance marring up the lug holes on the rims by trying to tighten them. This defines the difference better:
http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Hub-C ... ug-Centric
I think they are 8x170mm.
The 2000 model would still be the same 8 X 6.5 but hub centric-not lug centric like our early Fords are again.
Would be nice if I could borrow his spare, that would take care of getting it onto the trailer if the other three would hold air.
For a stock bumpside F-250, what tire size would I be looking for? Could I fit 32s on a stock F-250 or a slight lift?
????

The truck I'll be looking at is supposedly lifted, but I don't know how much and I intend to remove the lift.
Long term goals in this area would be brake upgrades and nice alloy wheels.
I would eventually like to upgrade brakes to disk in front and at a minimum the largest drum I can get in the rear, though 4 wheel disks would be preferred (just cause). I know the 5 lug D44 has an upgrade option, anything available for the 8 lug?
My vote for swapping out the axle-lots of other options here too.
What are the options with the Dana 60 rear?
My vote for throwing some discs on it to save money and run it-lots of options here too!

I like a lot of Ford's factory alloy wheel options, but don't see to many take off sets from 90s trucks on craigslist around here.
I found a set of rare discontinued Alcoa's for my DRW that came from an E-350 and had to drive 250 miles for them 15 years ago! Don't give up hope just broaden your search-or change the axles to more modern for the metric bolt circle wheels.
I'll probably end up with 90s alloys or aftermarket, but I do like a lot of ford's 2000+ alloys. Any path for upgrading stock axles to 8x170 mm lug pattern aside from wheel adapters?
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

Thanks for the reply.

I'm familiar with hub vs lug centric. I was not aware that 8x6.5" and 8x170mm lug patterns were close enough that they would physically fit. Not to surprised, some do the 5lug patterns are the same. I thought that the F-250 was 170mm by the 2000 MY.

So Fords and Dodges up to 97 should fit. That will give me a nice range to work with. Should be able to find something that will fit locally. I'd rather not take a chance at messing up dad's spare.

Asking about the size was dumb, just don't want to pickup a wheel to use and it not for because tire is to big. The truck I'm talking about here is a "lifted" 4wd so any stockish wheel and tire size should fit. I have got a couple of 32x11.5r15 tires that will hold air if I find a wheel they will fit on.

If I end up with that 250 I'll look into axle swaps. Really like the sound of 4 wheel disks, but I think that would be a long term project.

At the moment they are a couple of other potential parts trucks, but they are 2wd and would end up on my 68 F-100 4wd frame.
1968 F-100 4x4 long bed - 360 FE - NP435 w/ Dana 21 - PS & PB conversion - Front Disc Swap - 265/75R16 - 1" S.L. & 2" B.L. (to be removed) - Homemade tube bumpers - Warn 8274 - Currently wearing 1970 body
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Josh,

I told you wrong above.
As far as I know the metric bolt circle, (after 1999 hub centric 8 X 6.5 wheels) will not bolt up.
Hub centric 97' thru 99' was what I meant to say will bolt up.

Sorry for the misinformation.
Jeff
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

Thanks, just thought of one other question. What is the thread size on the lug nuts supposed to be? I think I found 9/16-18 elsewhere online, want to verify.

Figure if I have to provide a wheel I may also need a few lug nuts. Wouldn't hurt to have them just in case.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Yes they are 9/16" X 18 TPI.
I don't think this will come into play for the F-250 your looking at but be aware that the F-30 DRW trucks, (and a LOT...of early 60's and 70's Dodge) used a LHT on the DS rear wheel. So if you ever come across one, (only on the rear wheels-some crazy engineer thought the rotation of the axle would loosen lug nuts) where the lugs don't seem to be loosening try the opposite of "righty tighty-lefty loosey". :wink:
Jeff
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4