new battery drains, no reading on ammeter...

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

new battery drains, no reading on ammeter...

Post by tsherry »

This is in a '67 F250 CS. I installed a new battery, which was drained in a day or so. I've recharged the battery, hooked up the positive post, and checked each circuit that goes through the fuse block by pulling the fuses, hooking up a test light between the negative post and the negative cable, and systematically reinstalling the fuses.

In no case, with the exception of the dome light, did the test light come on. I closed the door, test light and dome light went off.

Any ideas on what could be draining the battery? Internal short inside the alternator or something?

thanks--

tom s.
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.
Mohillbilly

re: new battery drains, no reading on ammeter...

Post by Mohillbilly »

Was this happening before the new battery install, or only since then. I've had bad batteries, starters, etc fresh from the manufacturer before. Does it drain just sitting and turned off, or while it's being driven? A bad diode in the alternator could cause it to drain while running, or a bad voltage regulator could cause it to drain when turned off. If it takes all day to drain, it could be a high enough resistance short to not light a test light. A meter might be necessary. Good luck.
70 Custom LWB, 302-2V, 3 on tree
19674x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 19674x4 »

alternator or voltage regulator or you have a short some where
My Photo Album
2012 Cummins-the luxury Tow Pig
1967 F-250 highboy 352, np435(((((((sold))))))))) My first true love
1968 F100 SWB. 360, np-435, flatbed, currently acting as a hornest nest and bee hive.
1971 F-100 4x4 Step-side. 360, np-435, 70k origional miles- needs allot of love.
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: re: new battery drains, no reading on ammeter...

Post by tsherry »

Mohillbilly wrote:Was this happening before the new battery install, or only since then. I've had bad batteries, starters, etc fresh from the manufacturer before. Does it drain just sitting and turned off, or while it's being driven? A bad diode in the alternator could cause it to drain while running, or a bad voltage regulator could cause it to drain when turned off. If it takes all day to drain, it could be a high enough resistance short to not light a test light. A meter might be necessary. Good luck.
It was happening before the new battery was installed--the old battery was eight years old, and I thought it was a 'battery problem' at that point. It drains while sitting....but then again, I haven't double checked alternator output. That, maybe tomorrow. Good call on the high resistance idea. Hadn't thought of that...I'll take out the meter.
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

also if your electrical system checks out, althought it wouldn't drain while sitting a starter with the nose cone broke off would drain all power at startup.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: new battery drains, no reading on ammeter...

Post by jzjames »

...check your brake light switch???