Confused about a brake light problem

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
Comet
Preferred User
Preferred User

Confused about a brake light problem

Post by Comet »

Ok, my wife noticed my pass. side brake light out so I thought just the bulb. When that turned out to not be the problem, I started chasing the problem. Never did figure it out. Hope someone can help.
The driver side works fine and so do both blinkers. The brake light uses the same wiring as the blinker (the brighter element on the 1157 bulbs). So I know I was getting power to that lamp. Also, the driving lights all worked (even though they are on a separate wire). So I checked the brake switch, but didn't think this was the problem since the other brake light worked. There are two wires coming off the brake switch, so I assume one is power and the other is ground since the housing is plastic and therefore not grounded internally through the body of the switch.
Checked and replaced the fuses. I knew this wasn't the problem, but I broke it pulling it out :roll:
So, where do I look next? I mean the lamp is getting power via the turn signal. At some point the turn signal wire and the brake wire have to be connected together since there is only one wire to the lamp for both of them. So it must be between the point in which they meet and the brake switch. Am I right? Any thoughts on this?
That's MR. Jackass to you fellah!
Faithful Old Road Dog
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: Confused about a brake light problem

Post by Faithful Old Road Dog »

What's up, Mark? Check for proper ground then I'd take a test light and follow the wire back until I got power. Then you know there's a disconnect there. Make sure that socket is clean as well.
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

It's in your turn signal assembly. When in the center, neutral, position it should allow contact from your brake switch to power both of the circuits running from your signal assembly to the brake lights. The signal itself working proves the wiring is okay.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

check the wires under the cab. that is a possiblty. and you might check your grounds also.
QC
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by QC »

TOF is right. It almost has to be in the turn signal switch.
69 F-100 Ranger 302
Comet
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Comet »

Hmmm, ok thanks guys. Recently I just put a new shaft in the column and had to mess with the steering wheel and it's wiring. Looks like I screwed something up. I would never have guessed they were linked.
Faithful Old Road Dog
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Faithful Old Road Dog »

I wouldn't have figured that the turn switch would effect only one brake light. :hmm:
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

Yeah, in the "off" position the turn signal switch connects both the left and right brake lights together and that's connected to both the brake light switch and the emergency flasher switch. Try jiggling the turn signal switch and see if you can get both the brake lights to come on.
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
Comet
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Comet »

Ok, sounds good. I was going to try that after TOF mentioned it anyway.