Turn signals quit working

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Turn signals quit working

Post by Joe Kriston »

They started getting slower,then just sort of petered out...But my emergency flashers work fine...I replaced the steering wheel a couple months ago,so I've already been in there,but they were working fine until a week or so ago...Just wondering where to start troubleshooting....Thanks...
This is the point...I'm....talking about everybody! I'm talking about form! I'm talking about content! I'm talking about interrelationships! I'm talking about God, the devil, hell, heaven!!!! Do you understand???? Finally!!!!
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

it probably your other flasher unit. the one thats hooked to the back of the instrument cluster.
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

re: Turn signals quit working

Post by Joe Kriston »

Is that where the damn thing is?....I looked all over for it....I thought they just hung underneath the dash somewhere and was too embarrassed to start a 'Where is the turn signal flasher located?' thread...I didn't know there were two flashers...Thanks...
This is the point...I'm....talking about everybody! I'm talking about form! I'm talking about content! I'm talking about interrelationships! I'm talking about God, the devil, hell, heaven!!!! Do you understand???? Finally!!!!
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

Well, it looks like we have an Arizona anomaly, Joe! I am having the same problem with my 68. I replaced the flasher (there are two - get a flashlight and shine it up there under the instrument cluster or better yet, pull the cluster). Anyhow, I replaced mine but no dice. Like you, my emergency blinkers work fine so I know it's not any of the lights. Anyhow, I have been stewing about this and then, Sunday, on the way to the dump, a miraculous recovery! I'm off to work in a few minutes and hoping for the best. No one recognizes the old arm signals anymore; they think I'm waving for help or gang signing! ha ha
jor

UPDATE: Not workin' again!
FoMoCo
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by FoMoCo »

I'm guessing here. My 67 had the big ear splitting flasher that was the size of a digital camera. It got slower and slower untill I replaced it with a 2 dollar walmart flasher. The male wiring harness terminal had to be changed to female, otherwise a Direct swap. I have a complete virgin wiring harness in my basement Ill see if I can get any ideas where else could go wrong.

Nick
1969 F-100
2006 Fusion SEL
2006 e-320 cdi
2004 excursion V-10
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

if it keeps not workin shortly after working then the ground is bad or thesystem is shorting somewhere.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
ratfink
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by ratfink »

Just a thought, when at work and we have an "intermitten" problem, I try a "wiggle" test. Turn on one of your turn signals, then reach under the dash, especially around the plugs and wiggle the harness' untill hopefully you will find the problem area.
Ratfink
Dennis
1968 F100 Ranger 390/ C6 (Mine again)
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser Sandstorm
2007 3500 4X4 Dodge Cummins
Idleness is the mother of all vices.
Ford_Doctor

Post by Ford_Doctor »

Try the flasher, but if it doesn't work then it's time to start cleaning light sockets and grounds.
CJ,s 67 F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 »

When you start with the good advice Ford_Doctor gave you I used a terminal cleaning spray that works very good. If you pull the dash, pull and clean every terminal you can find. It will save you pulling it again.
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Joe Kriston »

Good tips,guys...I have another question...What's the difference between a hand signal and a hand gesture,Jor? :hmm: :evil: ....Actually,since I haven't taken my dash bezel off yet,I'm wondering how the flasher is mounted to it...Will a universal one work there?...Gracias'....
CJ,s 67 F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 »

Joe, Mine was just hanging when I put the f600 dash in but it is now zip tied up with the wires. I dont know how it is supposed to be attached
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Joe Kriston »

Thanks,Charles...I might see if I can reach in from the back first,because my bezel is in excellent shape and I don't want to pull it off and scratch it up any more than I have to....
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

Joe, if it has the original style flasher, it's attached to the back of the cluster in a slot where the arrow is pointing. The top of the flasher has a arrowhead? peg clip that fits into the slot and then you rotate it 90 degrees to lock it in. If you just pull on it the slot will break out on the plastic style clusters, rotate it 90 degrees first. Any flasher will work but they won't attach to the slot. Not a big deal, attaching it to the cluster acts as a sounding board to make the flasher louder. You can always buy a loud flasher if that's a problem. The '67-only flasher is totally different.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Joe Kriston »

Hey,thanks,Barry...Now I think I'll be able to stick my arm up in there and get the old one out easily....My canceller works well,so it isn't as though I need the loud flasher to remind me that my turn signal has been on for the last 15 miles if I use a univeral one and tie-wrap it someplace......BTW,it seems I saw where there's another poster called 68f250....You guys talked about registered name trademarks? :wink: ...
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Joe Kriston »

Yayyy,it was the flasher...Jor,what about yours?....Still messing with you?...