Alternator Is Still Not Charging...

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
derek7871

Alternator Is Still Not Charging...

Post by derek7871 »

I'm only showing 10.5-12.5 volts on the aftermarket voltmeter. After I drive for 50 or 60 miles, the battery has to be recharged. I've replaced the drive belts and the alternator (rebuilt 60 amp, internal voltage regulator). The battery is relatively new, but I have tried another battery that I know to be good and it still only shows 10-12 amps. I don't mind carrying a battery charger around and charging the battery every other time I drive it, but if anybody has any suggestions as to what the problem might be....................
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

voltage regulator most likely.

edit: I wasnt aware these could have an internal voltage regulator. I'd take the rebuilt one you have back to the parts house. reman's don't always work like they are supposed to.
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by heep70 »

The 67 - 72 Fords do not have internal regs. You bought the wrong alt or you have converted your rig over? The reg is located on the rad support of our trucks.
Greg

1971 F250 "Highboy". SOLD to "Highboy_Firefighter_71"
2000 Subaru Outback limited.
2000 F250 4X4 PSD SuperDuty Crew.
2010 Polaris 800RMK Dragon 155"
2013 Polaris Pro 800 RMK 163"
1980 Built Toyota "Trail Rig".
My last 1971 "Highboy" pics
derek7871

re: Alternator Is Still Not Charging...

Post by derek7871 »

I'll check the voltage regulator. I hooked the new alternator up exactly like the old one and, according to the paper work that came with the alternator, it was the connections for an internal voltage regulator setup. I don't remember seeing anything on the radiator support that looks like a voltage regulator. Maybe somebody converted it before I got it. I'll check and see.....and thanks for the input.
QC
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by QC »

Take the alternator to a parts store and get it tested.
69 F-100 Ranger 302
splavin90

Post by splavin90 »

here's what you can do:

hook up a volt meter to the battery, note the voltage. start the rig up, and if the voltage on the battery has gone up your alt. is working, and something else is your problem

and/or

hook up a volt meter to your alt. and full field test it. it should jump up to at least 13.5-15v maybe more.
69 F100 81' 302 / 73' fmx

I'd rather go hunting with Dick Cheney than go driving with Kennedy
derek7871

Post by derek7871 »

Well, it turns out that the voltage regulator was bad. It only took five minutes to chage out and when I started the truck.......14.5 volts. I proudly took the battery charger out of the floor board and put it back in the garage.
Thanks to all for the advice. It really helps when there is a reliable source of information that we can all turn to for help.