E. Flashers and Left turnsignal.

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
James

E. Flashers and Left turnsignal.

Post by James »

Another little question that I'm hoping to get answered quickly, I only have a day or two to get my '71 F-100 into inspection.

When I pull my emergency flasher light button out, nothing happens, if I push on the brake, even with the ignition in the 'Off' position, straight up and down with the key out of it, it's right turnsignal dash light goes on(And off when I let off the brake), but doesn't click, and the lights outside don't blink, but it only has one problem with the external lights, the backup lights don't go on.(Probably blown?)
Anyone know what could cause that? (E. Flashers)

And, kinda embarrassing, but I can't seem to get into the dash lights to replace the left turnsignal dash light. It's like up behind the dash there where it is there is a metal box..

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2411268
My '71 F100 truck on Car Domain.
fordhombre

re: E. Flashers and Left turnsignal.

Post by fordhombre »

How long have you had the pickup? Did it just start doing this recently, or has this been a problem for as long as you've owned it? Did the backup lights recently go out?

I've got a later model C4 transmission with a B&M megashifter in my pickup, so my backup lights aren't wired with factory settings, but maybe the backup wiring is still independant of the turn signals and e-flashers, since it doesn't go through the dash or steering column... :? What a compound sentence!
it's a 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 automobile!
460 crew
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 460 crew »

I'd start with replacing all the bulbs and fuses, along with the flasher for the emergency signals and the one for the turn signals. Remember when buying the correct bulbs some of them have 2 contacts in the socket instead of just one. Swapping in the wrong bulb will cause some weird problems with your lighting. Trust me I found out the hard way.

Also what state are you located in maybe someone off the board could visit you and do a quick visual and rundown of things to do to get you on the road safely., and a manual from the auto store by haynes or chilton will help you out alot.
1970 4x4 Crewcab build and 12v cummins conversion
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=17179
wildcard
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by wildcard »

The easiest way to get to the bulbs is to take the entire gauge panel out. There are only 8 screws to remove.No big deal. Just reach up under the dash and unscrew the speedometer cable first, lean it towards you a little and unplug the wiring harness on the back. (From the top) It will be to your right side, and has a couple of plastic clips to squeeze if I remember right.

The speedo cable is probably going to be tight . I have had mine off a few times and just put it back on hand tight so next time I don't have to try to get a wrench or pliers up in there. Never had a problem with it coming loose...... yet. It always seems to be as tight as when I left it last.

Hope this helps some. Good luck.
James

Post by James »

Spedometer cable was loose, and I got it working, seems it was either a bad socket or a bad bulb.
71 LONG BED
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 71 LONG BED »

My turn signal canceler only works after right turns, not lefts. My left dash indicator light went out. Couldn't have been the right. You know how many times I drove around with my flasher blinking? :lol: And my clicker doesn't click. I had no way of knowing if I forgot to turn it off. :lol:
John Member #1549
71 F100 Sport Custom__________1967 F350 Gone, but not forgotten
Image Image Image
James

Post by James »

Oh, cool, same model and year! :lol: Mine's a '71 F100 Custom.

Mine does click, kinda faintly, about as loud as the original does in the '90 Ford Bronco 2 sitting next to my truck, I want to get a louder one, but that'll be later on.
I replaced all the twist bulbs in the dash part that comes out with the spedometer, and the tag light...(Seems rigged), I'll have to upload some pictures.