To rebuild a power assist ram

4x4 & Off-road Forum Archives

Moderator: Doug Comer

FordCummins

To rebuild a power assist ram

Post by FordCummins »

Hey guys,

Can anyone out there tell me how to re-build a power-assist ram on my 1973 Hi-boy? My truck's ram is missing, and I'm getting one out of my local salvage yard and not sure if it'll leak or not. Plus, how do you re-build the drivers side part w/the four hoses on it?

I've been thinking about doing a normal power steering conversion, but I think the ram will actually be better. It'll keep my truck more stock, and I knida like it.

Averagef250, would this be one you'd know about?

Thanks! Wayne
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

For the ram, be sure you get one with a tight tie rod on it. These can't be replaced anymore AFAIK. cut through the weld at the stem side of the cylinder with a die grinder. Scribe a mark to show how the end is clocked for re-assembly. Pull it apart. pull the stem through the packing and knock the packing out. Take the old stem down to a machine shop and have a new one made from 5/8" hard chrome cylinder stem. Buy a new seal. Put the thing together, mig or tig weld the end back on being very careful not to get spatter on the stem and lastly install the new seal.

There's a few places that sell the valve rebuild kit like JBG and NPD might as well. The only thing that wears in them is the ball stud and seats. It's a pretty simple valve, just a matter of getting the parts, taking it apart and putting it back together. You have to adjust the nut on one end of the valve. That's more a trial and error deal than anything.

All in all it'll cost a couple hundred bucks to go through one of these yourself. They last forever taken care of though.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70