Control valve on highboy power steering setup

4x4 & Off-road Forum Archives

Moderator: Doug Comer

montana_hiboy

Control valve on highboy power steering setup

Post by montana_hiboy »

Does anyone know why ford used two different control valves on the highboy power steering setup? there's a "garrison" type and a "bendix" type...i've seen both on trucks from '73 to '77, is one more advantageous then the other?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim

'75 Ford Highboy 390 4spd
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

I have a few of the garrison valves in my power assist junk box, but I've never actually driven a truck with one. Every one I've driven from 73-77 has had the bendix type.

My best guess is there are two reasons why the garrison went by the wayside- It's cheezier and can brake(one of the ones I have is snapped in 1/2 from a minor wreck) and they're hard to work on. They're a real pain to take apart when they get a little rust on them. The bendix valves are simple as can be and a lot stouter.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
montana_hiboy

re: Control valve on highboy power steering setup

Post by montana_hiboy »

Thanks dustin, i'd have to agree, the garrison valve is just held together by two adjusting sleeves with clamps on either end, as where the bendix valve is actually held together with three bolts on either end, imo making it stouter as you stated, do you know if this was a mid-year replacement at some point? or did ford just interchange these through out 73-77? i only seem to come across the garrison valves on 76's and 77's....and the bendix valves on 73's thru 75's.....just coincidence? or were they used through out 73 to 77? thanks :?
Jim

averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

I don't know when they were used. I can say I've owned a comnpletely original 77 highboy and it had the bendix valve. My 77 chassis manual only shows the bendix valve.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
montana_hiboy

Post by montana_hiboy »

my shop books only show a garrison valve (1975) but my rig has the bendix valve so i dunno, i know they want a fortune to replace that valve, upwards of $500 from what i've seen, not to mention like $200 each for either end, you throw in the slave cylinder and hoses and you're up to nearly $1,500 .......... i'm considering just scraping the whole setup and putting in a solid center link and just going manual :2cents:
Jim

fomoco390

Post by fomoco390 »

My '76 highboy has the Bendix valve, and my '74 crew cab highboy has the Garrison. I can tell you the Bendix works fine for me over the past 10 years (and 20 years prior to that I guess). I haven't driven the Garrison type enough to know about it. I think I may have a spare Garrison valve somewhere if you are interested in it. I don't know the contition now but the guy I got it from (years ago) said it was supposed to be ok. It's doubtful I'll ever need it.
Crew cab aficionado