Closed knuckle leak "fix"

4x4 & Off-road Forum Archives

Moderator: Doug Comer

fomocoguy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Closed knuckle leak "fix"

Post by fomocoguy »

I just thought I'd share with you all the way I decided to fix my leaky closed knuckle front dana 44. I grew tired of wondering if all my gear oil had leaked out or not, and after unsuccessfully trying to purchase new seals and wipers I decided to go a different route. A few people have told me that they just pack theirs with axle grease, but I didn't want to have to disassemble it all every time I wanted to grease it. So I went to the auto parts store and picked up some universal grease fittings. Then I picked up a 1/4-28 tap and drill set and went to work on the sight plugs. Here is what I came up with:

After reinstalling the plugs I pulled the drain bolt out (one of the lower ball joint bolts) to release air and drain what was left in there, which wasn't much, and pumped a full tube of grease into each side. I never did get any to come out of the drain hole, so I may go have the local lube joint pump it in until it comes out the drain. Anyways, just thought I'd share my idea with you all. Now I can stop worrying about it! :D
Joe

1971 F100 flareside 8ft
1964 Chrysler New Yorker Town and Country wagon
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 cummins
2005 Ford Ranger
Wes
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Closed knuckle leak "fix"

Post by Wes »

thats a great maintenance up grade, be sure you get lube in the upper king pin bearing. I got my high boy becuase the right upper king bearing was wiped out and PO couldn't deal w/ it.
Wes

http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10402
67 F250 High boy
69 Bronco

If you can't see fit to stand behind Our Troops...Please stand in front of them :)
fomocoguy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Closed knuckle leak "fix"

Post by fomocoguy »

Thanks for the tip! I think I'm gonna go to the Home Depot and buy that air powered grease gun I've been eyeballin' so I can pump it full a little easier. I've wanting it for a looong time... :thup:
Joe

1971 F100 flareside 8ft
1964 Chrysler New Yorker Town and Country wagon
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 cummins
2005 Ford Ranger