customizing a draglink

4x4 & Off-road Forum Archives

Moderator: Doug Comer

zack

customizing a draglink

Post by zack »

has anyone customized their draglink for a highboy power steering conversion? I was trying to figure out what to do for my power steering conversion. I think Im going to go with the 79 f 250 box and a 79 dana 60 front rear. I was hoping to find a adjustable draglink with replaceable ends. I was thinking about making one but I didnt want to "reinvent the wheel" if I didnt have to. are the ends on the stock 79 draglink the same taper? since Im using the 79 box and rear can I use a stock 79 draglink? it would be great if you guy that have done this kind of stuff could post some pictures of your draglink mods. thanks a lot guys!! :fr:
1972 crew highboy project
1972 crew highboy 12v cummins daily driver
1970 f250 2wd ranger xlt camper special (first car)
1970 f100 lwb 2wd driver quality
1976 highboy driver quality
etc, etc, etc........
mlheppl
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: customizing a draglink

Post by mlheppl »

Hey zack!

I took my existing draglink and cut it down to fit when I installed my 79 powersteering setup on my highboy. I cut it to fit my original closed knuckle dana44. I've got a 78 dana 44 that I'll be swapping in in the next couple of months. I'm not sure if I'll have to re-do the draglink or not when I swap out the front end.

here's the ends just before welding back together:

After it was done

Here's a link to my power steering intallation:
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... it=mlheppl
Mike
71 F250 4X4
99 F250SD 4X4 7.3L PSD
Doug Comer
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Doug Comer »

I always use the tie rod from the closed knuckle front end and cut it down. Sleeve it, vee it out and weld to whatever length you need.
Doug
1967 f100 4x4
1970 f250 4x4
spartanpride

Post by spartanpride »

I did the 4x4x2 p/s box conversion and used the custom drag link/tie rod set up from a place called bulletproof steering. It was a bit pricey, but I am telling you, very, very worth it! http://bulletproofsteering.com/main.html the site can be kinda tricky to navigate, but... check it out! :thup:
mybros71
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by mybros71 »

I didn't like the thought of welding this part because I just did not feel comfortable. I used the link from a Blazer (SORRY. I only used the adjuster sleeve and bought two HD ball joints). I had to ream my arms but it worked out great. very easy and adjustable to boot.

2006 Mustang GT (Wife's)
1962 Comet Custom (Wife's)
1971 F100 2wd Prerunner Project (Daughter's)
1971 F250 4wd "The Beast" (Son's)
2007 Toyota Tundra 4wd. (Credit Union's)
Seriously, the best truck I've ever owned, without exception.
Ks Highboy

Post by Ks Highboy »

When I did the PS on my 67 I cut the existing drag link and rotated the ends to fit and welded it. When it wore out I just went to Napa and got a link for a 78-79 F250. Direct bolt on.