template for front speaker replacement?

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

rocketBox

template for front speaker replacement?

Postby rocketBox » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:53 am

I'm working on getting things gathered up for a stereo replacement. I have the Volvo mount kit, the receiver unit... working on speakers now. I was thinking of replacing the 1 front speaker under the grille with something like 2 4" speakers... anybody have a template to mount the speakers to and just install the whole assembly? For the rear I was just going to install 2 6x9 4 ways in boxes and rest them on the gas tank behind the seat... thoughts on this setup?

jzjames
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: template for front speaker replacement?

Postby jzjames » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:41 pm

I'm not up on sound system speaker placement in vehicles, but for our trucks I would think a high up rear speaker set up would sound better than directly behind your back on top of the gas tank.

I went old school for my 67 and just replaced the front dash speaker with the closest sized modern speaker I could find, had to adjust the mounting of it a little, but not much. I think I used zip ties to mount under the dash pad. The mounting holes were pretty close etc.

Sounds good and like I said "old school style" for an old truck.
Our trucks are on the loud side in the cab unless you've got a lot of tricked out sound deadening in there.

Chaseman

Postby Chaseman » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:24 pm

that's exactly what I did , my two 4 inch speakers mount right up where the old single did. Same mounts and everything. No template though , I made a frame for the 2 four inch speakers and used the original arms on the old speakers mount. I might have pics , lemme look.

Edhouse

Postby Edhouse » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:27 pm

I'd be interested in pics of that. I just picked up a 69 F250 with no radio or speaker. I took a look under the dash and I assume I'm missing something for mounting of the speaker. I'm just going with a simple dual coil speaker from LMC and a retrosound radio because I'm not keen on cutting into the doors or fabbing up a speaker enclosure. I'm also not sure if I want to drop the coin on one of those Highliner headliners just yet.

Ed

Return to “Interior”