Which rubber floor mat is best (D.C., Bob Drake, NPD, etc)?

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Which rubber floor mat is best (D.C., Bob Drake, NPD, etc)?

Post by robroy »

I just ordered a part# C5TZ-8113010-A from Dennis Carpenter; they finally have some in stock again. That's the replacement floor mat for the 8" transmission hump cabs. I'll post photos as soon as it arrives! It was $80 or $85.
Happy_Camper
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Happy_Camper »

That's going to look excellent!
I love the "Made in the USA" part.
Very cool amigo! :thup:
Scott
1972 F250 Explorer C/S, 390-2V, Dual exhaust, C6, Goose neck ball in bed
New and improved with Tilt Wheel, Intermittent Wipers, 2005 Bench seat and 5th wheel camper!...
Life is *very* good!
green68250

Post by green68250 »

Well that settles it, Dennis Carpenter it is. I will be ordering one here soon. Thanks for your trial and error, robroy. That will make the interior look great. I will have to cut all sorts of holes in mine but hopefully the shift boots will cover the mistakes. Thanks again for the info.

Corbin
Honestly, I really would rather push a Ford than drive a Chevy.

1969 F-100 4x4 Dana 44 w/ disk brakes and power steering conversion 390 c6 np205.
1970 F-250 97k original miles bone stock 390 np435 most original unmolested truck I have ever owned.
2001 F-250, Extra Cab, 4x4, 7.3 Direct Injected Turbo Diesel, Edge Programmer, Flowmaster 4" Turbo back Exhaust, 3" Leveling Kit with 33" Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs, and has 250,000 miles and counting.
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Hi Corbin! Yes I think it's a good choice, but keep in mind that I've only reviewed two so far! The Bob Drake and the Dennis Carpenter.

Based on what I've heard others say about the NPD and LMC mats though, I think the Dennis Carpenter looks like the best choice by far. I've heard that folks have had to use hot air guns to try to get the others to sit down against the floor and stuff. This Dennis Carpenter mat sat down against that floor like it was right at home! And it smelled fantastic.

About the shifter boot, I had that same thought! If the boot covers up a 6 or 8" area, the hole you cut will probably be hidden, thanks goodness. :) I'm not sure how to cut those holes yet. There will have to be three holes: the dimmer switch, the clutch rod, and the shifter.

Corbin, do you plan on cutting your holes starting out in the center of the mat, or cutting from the edge to each hole? Probably cutting from the edge is better, since that makes the mat easy to remove and put back whenever you want. Cutting holes straight in the mat without leading up to them from the edge could make it look a little better but would require some taking apart to get it in and out. What's your strategy?

Thanks!
-Robroy
thebannister8
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by thebannister8 »

i liked your floormat, too bad there were problems...i just got a floor mat from lmc today.....i am at the start disapointed...it looks like rubber cottage cheese in line patterns that are all crooked... :hmm:
Last edited by thebannister8 on Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

thebannister8 wrote:i liked your floormat, too bad there were problems...
Hey Thebannister8! Do you mean the Dennis Carpenter mat? And do you mean the problem of not having the holes cut in it from the factory?
i just got a floor mat from lmc today.....i am at the start disapointed...it looks like rubber cottage cheese in line patterns that are all crooked...no way this is going in my truck....i'll keep looking :hmm:
Oh, well it's good to know that the LMC mat isn't so hot! I heard that from other folks but confirmation is good--you never know if somebody received an odd mat by accident or something.

Rubber cottage cheese is a good way to put it. :)

Did you take any photos by any chance?

Thanks!
-Robroy
thebannister8
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by thebannister8 »

robroy...i like the look of the Bob Drake mat you had there...the lmc mat has one hole in it for the high beam switch...i guess the holes would be nice..but they're workablee with out them...just kinda makes it easier with all the holes...i almost ordered a whitney mat...be cool to see a pic of that one..i might add...lmc got here in 4 days..regular ups..i liked that...i don't have a pic of the lmc mat i'll take one though... :fr:
thebannister8
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by thebannister8 »

robroy.....i looked your pics more closely....and i'm of the opinion that the Dennis Carpenter mat and the lmc mat i have are the same one....
Last edited by thebannister8 on Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
thebannister8
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by thebannister8 »

here's the lmc mat :fr:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peanutman
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by peanutman »

thebannister8 wrote:here's the lmc mat :fr:
The mat i got from lmc looks like bannisters mat except it was the full cab mat, that may have made it more difficult to get it to fit all the contours of the floor pan.
thebannister8
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by thebannister8 »

here is the lmc mat installed....around the hump doesn't fit exact, but looks ok...the only trimming is on the sides where the door kick plates go :thup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Hey TheBannister8, that fit looks encouraging! So you didn't need to heat the rubber to get it to sit down flat? If not, it will probably look even better in a year or so when it settles down fully.

Robroy
thebannister8
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by thebannister8 »

fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i saw that. and i think that is only for the 61-66 trucks. thier floor pans are different than ours. see the lightning bolt though. that is a nos piece for sure.
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Good evening!

Well, it only took me a little over two years to get started on installing the mat! All I need to do is install the two aluminum trim pieces and it'll be done.

First, I let it soak up some rays to make it easier to handle:

I fought with the mat for a long while until I got it sitting approximately where I figured it would want to rest. I had to lift up on the firewall insulation sheet to get it to poke under there, but it clearly wasn't possible to do the same type of thing with the clutch rod and headlight dimmer switch.

Then I marked on top of the mat with a Japanese paint-pen, and boldly cut away!!!

I'm really happy with the dimmer switch area (left). I probably could have done better with the clutch rod (right), but it won't keep me up at night.

ImageImage

I'd removed the shift cane and taped over the top plate hole before setting the mat in there, so it was easy to feel on the mat to locate the top plate opening. I drew a circle there, and cut it out with a razor. It was a lot easier to cut through than I thought it would be, maybe because I'd warmed it up pretty well first.

ImageImage

I installed the rubber boot over the mat, since I wasn't sure whether it was supposed to be mounted under it, or over it. With it mounted on top, it makes the shift cane more serviceable, since it's still easy to remove it that way without having to pull the mat out first.

Overall I'm still really impressed with this mat. The fit was very good, and it looks like over time it'll settle down and look 100% at home in there. And it smells GREAT!

I'll take some better photos this coming weekend and put them up!

Thanks for all the excellent advice!
Robroy