Lug Wrench / Jack Crank

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Lug Wrench / Jack Crank

Post by fordman »

i had a question tonight that i didnt know the answer too. and the question said that he didnt have the lug wrench clip holes in the floor of the truck. and i got to wondering if the trucks with bucket seats didnt have that. and maybe the lug wrench was suppose to store with the jack or what the real answer was. does anyone know where the bucket seat trucks stored thier jack handles at?
hazelnut
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by hazelnut »

Ive got a 69 highboy that came with a folding handle, the jack under the hood is also 4" taller than a 2wd jack.
patrickdotryan
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by patrickdotryan »

Guys, I have been beating myself over the head on this one for the last few hours and need HELP! The PO of my truck had the jack handle and lug wrench just lying under the seat, but I figured after I painted the floors, I would just clamp them down as they should be. BUT, my studs are welded in different locations to all the pictures here, such that the jack handle needs to go forward of the seat belt mounts (some here show it that way also, some show behind the seat belts), which means that the jack handle needs to lay over the pressed "X" in the center of the floor, which is several inches higher then where the clip to hold the "L" is, so there is no way the "L" part can ever get in that clip. Even to get the thing to be under the seat rails when the seat is moved back, I have to crank those clamps way down until the whole thing is bowed down like crazy and then the "L" is at a weird angle and is just grinding into the floor and scratching off my brand new paint on that sloped part. Does anyone have a 1971 built in San Jose that they can show me a photo? The ones in these here look more simple.

Cheers,
Patrick in San Diego
1971 F250 Custom
Camper Special
Prairie Yellow
390 (was a 360), C6 Auto, Dana 60
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

here is my 71. that is the way it is suppose to hook up. maybe your handle is wrong.

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j183/ ... 2_0014.jpg
Last edited by fordman on Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
cdeal28078
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cdeal28078 »

patrickdotryan wrote:Guys, I have been beating myself over the head on this one for the last few hours and need HELP! The PO of my truck had the jack handle and lug wrench just lying under the seat, but I figured after I painted the floors, I would just clamp them down as they should be. BUT, my studs are welded in different locations to all the pictures here, such that the jack handle needs to go forward of the seat belt mounts (some here show it that way also, some show behind the seat belts), which means that the jack handle needs to lay over the pressed "X" in the center of the floor, which is several inches higher then where the clip to hold the "L" is, so there is no way the "L" part can ever get in that clip. Even to get the thing to be under the seat rails when the seat is moved back, I have to crank those clamps way down until the whole thing is bowed down like crazy and then the "L" is at a weird angle and is just grinding into the floor and scratching off my brand new paint on that sloped part. Does anyone have a 1971 built in San Jose that they can show me a photo? The ones in these here look more simple.

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

Cheers,
Patrick in San Diego
I wonder if your truck having the fuel tank transfer valve makes a difference on where you handle fits?
clint
71 F100 SportCustom
460 C6. Disc Brake/Power-steering/automatic Swap. 3.00
1986 Bronco 5.0 AOD
patrickdotryan
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by patrickdotryan »

Fordman and Clint, sorry I only just saw your replies, I forgot to ask to notify automatically. Fordman, My crank handle looks exactly the same as yours, but where my setup differs is that the clip for the L part of the crank is not up on the flat floor where yours is, it is part way down the slope and further to the back of the truck. You can see that yours is about 1" to the rear of that rib, mine is further back and down the slope. When yours is laid flat, the L part is also flat to the floor, but to even touch my clip, the L has to be rotated down a little, then it can't get into that clip, because the clip is flat also. Clint, It doesn't come close to the Fuel tank selection switch, so i don't think that's the issue. My truck is all original, so it must have fit at some point, I just can't work it out. Maybe I'll take some updated shots over the weekend. thanks as always for your help. Patrick in San Diego.
1971 F250 Custom
Camper Special
Prairie Yellow
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i just looked at that. and your handle clip seems to be a factory mistake. it is in the wrong place i think. it should be up on top or be swiveled around to the top.
patrickdotryan
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by patrickdotryan »

Thanks Fordman. Seems like you're always solving my issues. Here are some shots. First an overall:

Then - I didn't put on the clamps, but I laid it down two ways:

1) forward of the driver's side stud (you can see the passenger stud in the Background):

2) rearward of the driver's side stud

You can see in both scenarios that the angle is so severe that the handle is never going to make it into that clip. I just don't get it, as it must have been sent from the factory with the jack handle fitted to the floor. How did it go 40 years and only I am having a problem with it? I am guessing that there is a simple answer that we don't know. Anyone else got a similarly positioned clip?

Thanks - Patrick in San Diego
1971 F250 Custom
Camper Special
Prairie Yellow
patrickdotryan
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by patrickdotryan »

Thanks Dave, I'll have to double check it tonight and take some photos. The issue I have is that even when cranked down, the middle bend that goes under the small clip is nowhere near as flat as your. It is at such an angle that the final bend digs heavily into the floor forward of that clip. It also scratches the crap out of the floor. I'll wrap it in something thin and give it another go. Thanks for the tips.
1971 F250 Custom
Camper Special
Prairie Yellow
TotalSound

Post by TotalSound »

I realize that this is a really old post but does anyone have a picture of the bottle jack mounted on the fender? There was nothing there when this truck was donated to me. I bought a replacement and clamp but it doesn't fit in any of the holes. If I could see a picture of the thing I could figure out if these parts are wrong or what. Thanks a lot.
DisneysPatB
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by DisneysPatB »

TotalSound wrote:I realize that this is a really old post but does anyone have a picture of the bottle jack mounted on the fender? There was nothing there when this truck was donated to me. I bought a replacement and clamp but it doesn't fit in any of the holes. If I could see a picture of the thing I could figure out if these parts are wrong or what. Thanks a lot.
I have a 73 with it but my 70 does not have one. I will try to get a pic tonight. I need to look under my seat in the 70 to see if the crank and lug wrench are there.
1970 F250 460 C6 - Project - Currently not running.
1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4 x 4 5.9 Magnum -not running.
1999 Toyota Corolla - Daily Driver.

https://fordification.com/forum/app.php ... y/album/43
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

From the low mileage 1971 F250 pics in the photo galleries.
http://www.fordification.com/images/fai ... 9513hi.jpg
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
lilorbie

Post by lilorbie »

the 67 camper special that my Dad bought brand new came with a jack handle that had a hinge in the middle so it would fold up onto it,s self. he would tilt the seat back forward and put the handle inside of the seat back. he carried a 4- way lug wrench that he would slide under the seat on the trans. hump. his truck was a automatic. with the carpet the lug wrench had some "grip" to hold onto. it never slid out.