instrument panel screws and clips

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

tractorhead9542

instrument panel screws and clips

Post by tractorhead9542 »

Hello,
New to this site. I have had a bit of difficulty locating the u nuts or clips if you will that instrument panel screws bite in to. I am missing a few and couple must be worn out (screws slip). This is one of the few things I just cannot find. I used to have a parts truck or two but finally cut them up. Who thinks to save those? Oops... Does anybody have some or know a source of these?
TNIceWolf
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: instrument panel screws and clips

Post by TNIceWolf »

Dennis Carpenter and LMC could be good sources. A lot of hardware stores and auto parts stores either have them or can get a good substitute as well. Just have to find a clerk that knows what they are doing. Take one with you and match it up......They could also be sourced from any number of vehicles in a salvage yard....but would be a time consuming process. Those are fairly common pieces of hardware used in all types of machinery.
Find 'em....Buy 'em....Fix 'em.....Drive 'em....Love 'em

HHC 4/67AR.... Bandits.....88-92

Presently in the stable
1969 Ford F-350 DRW
1989 Chevy S-10 Tahoe ( It gets me to work and back and fetches parts and groceries)
1981 Buick Regal ( My deceased uncles last project/driver....renamed project Regal Eagle to be finished in his honor)
1990 Ford F-150 ( Miss Yvonnes Daily Driver )
My F-350 project http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=41744
dave888

Post by dave888 »

I know this is old, but for the next person, I found clipsandfasteners.com to have U and J nuts for body and dash. You just need to look at a sample and then find an equivalent. I also found phosphate and zinc plated screws found on Ford truck body anels there.
MadJoe

Post by MadJoe »

Hmm, I've been using those plastic screw anchors for screwing into drywall. I have a handful of them holding my dash and headlight trim on. They actually work quite well. Where ever a clip ghosted or failed, I'd just grab one small enough to fit snugly into the existing hole, lightly tap it with a hammer until it was flush, and then screw the original screws back in. They worked so well I considered just getting a package of them and replacing all of the clips in my dash and trim, but got lazy.
1971 F-350 DRW SWB Stake Body
360 FE
C6 transmission
OEM disc brakes
OEM power steering
Dana 70 4.10 rear end