Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Interior colours for '72 XLT Wind blue / W.White

Post by Bullitt74 »

Hello everyone!

Kinda new to the site (again) - regularly was on the site in 2003, but haven't contributed in some time...I had a 10-yr affair with mustangs, but now I'm back to just having my old '72 XLT.

Time to paint the old girl - she is going from this:
IMG_1519 (1).jpg
...to this color scheme:
IMG_0065.JPG
So here's my questions to you guys that know a heck of a lot more about these trucks than I, as I would like it to look relatively stock for the wind blue/wimbleton white exterior colour scheme:
1) Dash pad - dye it blue? If so, what shade of blue?
2) Blue carpet? Again, medium or dark blue?
3) Steering column - blue?

Probably the first post of many - looking forward to discussions with you guys now, and down the road!

Cheers,

Steve F.
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
72 Ford Ranger XLT, currently mint/mallard green/rust
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve F.
'72 Ranger XLT, 4x2, 390-2V, C6, Wind blue & Wimbledon White (‘Smokey’)
8)
2016 F150 Lariat FX4 Supercrew, Ruby Red
Follow my build thread for 'Smokey': http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=85070
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Interior colours for '72 XLT Wind blue / W.White

Post by sargentrs »

:wel: back! That's going to look great. Here's the interior trim option catalogs to peruse while you think about it. http://www.fordification.com/tech/upholsterycolor.htm Personally, I like a little contrast between my exterior and interior. JMO but I'd go with a dark blue dash pad and carpet with the two tone dark blue/medium blue vinyl capped and cloth seat, pleated like the Sport Custom style.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Ask and ye shall receive! Just checked new posts and, lo and behold, mulletmobile posted on his thread where he has the same interior I just described (thanks, mulletmobile!) http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... =6&t=83451
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Biggest issue with making it look stock is that no one (AFAIK) makes 72 Ranger XLT interior, you're going to have to have the firewall carpet made and if you want wood grain door panels they will be for an earlier year or custom made...

The 1972 Ranger XLT interior is medium blue to dark blue.

Frankly, I'd do it in black for the white/light blue combination you show...
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Also blue steering column and interior to match the exterior.
Randy
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

Thanks guys for all of your advice! Definitely going to need a couple evenings to pour over options and do some research.

Geez - I never even THOUGHT of the firewall carpet. I'll have to have a closer look at it. Has anyone else overcome that hurdle (ex: purchasing a bit more carpet from ACC or StockInteriors) to custom make such a thing?

Regarding the door panels - has anyone ever successfully restored the XLT panels? Seems like a feat, but I suspect some of you are quite meticulous!

Also, should I pull the trigger on this colour change, I would have a dk green carpet, seat and door panels for sale in reasonable condition for sale...

Current interior (looking for a different horn button...)
IMG_0097.jpg
Thanks!

Steve.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve F.
8)
Follow my build thread for 'Smokey': http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=85070
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

For the firewall carpet... not sure about buying extra carpet from ACC, but they told me in no uncertain terms that they were not making anymore patterns (Most if not all of the principals of the company were killed in a plane crash 15-20 years ago, not sure who owns and runs it now). I doubt that it would be a difficult job for a skilled interior person, particularly if your factory one is in reasonable condition to use as a pattern... I was unimpressed with an ACC carpet kit years ago, not sure if they are now better, worse or the same.

There are also ABS firewall covers available, I had considered covering one with leather or vinyl...

I believe the reproduction-ish interior that is available is made by PUI (AKA Parts Unlimited Inc Interiors) googling them does not produce confidence in quality...

TMI has branched out into truck interior, but it is hot rod interior not reproduction, and there are videos saying they will have headliners and kick panels too though they are not ready yet, it is possible you could talk them into doing carpet.

RE color: here is the way I think that works... the interior metal is the base exterior color ( in the case of your desired new scheme it would be white) and the steering column, dash pad, carpet is the interior color, one of the color charts gives you the mix codes for the interior paint and list the parts.

I wish someone would do correct restoration interior for our trucks, but it won't happen until someone thinks there is a lot of money to be made. The fact that TMI has done what they have is encouraging...
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

Thanks Duckryder and sargentrs for your replies and comments! :fr:

Looking at the firewall carpet, it is pretty simple - just has a vinyl seam on the edge, and has that 1" insulation on the backing. It should be fairly easy to replicate, and the insulation on my current carpet looks to be in good shape. I should be able to either use it as a template, or scrape it off and glue it to some new carpet.

Stockinteriors has the option to order extra carpet by the yard (actually 36" x 72" = "one unit"), which should work out for the firewall piece. I think I'll take a crack at this in the spring once my truck returns from the shop. I'll try and remember to take lots of pictures and add a DIY tech article for Ranger XLT interiors. There are a couple other tech articles that probably could be mined from my project specific to XLT, such as the tailgate panel and side trim restoration that I'm planning (the original or similar Di-Noc 3M faux wood finishing is available to buy from vendors on ebay). It would be great to collaborate with some other XLT owners and/or moderators to review the materials and post them in the proper locations.

I had a look at the TMI interior stuff - nice stuff, but too much dough for me. The 3 red dots custom theme is interesting...appears to be inspired by Scotty Cameron putters maybe? I also find it interesting that they forayed into the bumpside market.

I'll start a separate thread on my project in the weeks to come! My brother and I are starting teardown on Thanksgiving (...ahem, that being Canadian Thanksgiving)

Cheers,

Steve.
Steve F.
8)
mulletmobile

Post by mulletmobile »

sargentrs wrote:Ask and ye shall receive! Just checked new posts and, lo and behold, mulletmobile posted on his thread where he has the same interior I just described (thanks, mulletmobile!) http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... =6&t=83451
Glad my '70 coded '71 interior could be of help! For what it is worth, that white with Med Blue/Light Blue interior color combo sold me on buying the truck. It just looks Ford to my. So much so that when I powdercoat my steelies, I am going with some close color so they will match. Let me know if you need or want more pics of it.
1971 F-250, Wimbeldon White, 360, PB, dealer add-on A/C (A.R.A. brand), 1970 coded interior (23 - Med. blue/Light blue) with 42,000 miles.
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

I agree - that painted white interior looks so clean to me. Thanks for your pics, as it gives me a vision of what I'm shooting for!

I am thinking of deviating slightly from the wind blue to the Ford GT (Gulf) Heritage blue and Wimbleton white in the same 2-tone scheme. Check this out:
1966-Ford-Bronco-Heritage-by-Galpin-06-1024x678.jpg
Just looks like candy to me!

Steve.
Steve F.
8)