door speakers and grilles

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

takehikes

door speakers and grilles

Post by takehikes »

Im not sure what yer door speakers became an option but I'd like to put some in and make them look as original as possible.
Suggestions?
1968 F100 SWB Flareside, 240-6, 3 speed, 3.70 rear, bone stock and rust free.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Re: door speakers and grilles

Post by FORDification »

First year for AM/FM stereo radio was 1971 and these are what the speakers looked like. They were mounted on the lower front of each door:

Very very few trucks ever actually had these installed, so finding a pair would be like the proverbial needle in a haystack, and probably wouldn't be up to par with todays radios anyway. However, you could probably find a cheap pair of older aftermarket speakers with a grille very similar to this and just use the grille over the top of newer speakers.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
Mach428
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Mach428 »

These look like the 69-70 Mustang stereo grilles, which are easily available from the Mustang venders
takehikes

Post by takehikes »

I just want the look of original though I know they werent available in 68. I just want better sound in the truck and have no desire to put them under or behind the seat. I'm in the middle of installing dome light switches so I figured why not do speakers too? They make the Mustang harness for the dome light and speaker so should work out nice.
1968 F100 SWB Flareside, 240-6, 3 speed, 3.70 rear, bone stock and rust free.
RangerRat

Post by RangerRat »

The 72' XLT I had many years ago had the factory am/fm stereo. It had the door speakers that are shown in the pic. They are the same as 69/70 Mustang's. I think Torino's may have used them also. They are an odd size. 4 x 8. Scott Drake is the only vendor I have found reproducing them and very expensive, imo. I'm going to put 4 x 10's in my current 72' in the factory location with some generic looking grills