Gauge wiring

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

Gage1970

Gauge wiring

Post by Gage1970 »

I have a 3 gauge set (volts, temp, oil pressure). They were added by the previous owner and bolted to the dash ugly as hell. I was wondering if I could use the wiring on the stock gauges in the cluster. This is for a 1970 Highboy. I'm trying to keep it cheap and fairly easy. I'm only 16.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Gauge wiring

Post by sargentrs »

Not quite sure what you're asking? If you mean put the under dash gauges in the instrument cluster instead of the OEM gauges, it's not quite that simple. It requires disassembling the gauges and reassembling them correctly. Here's a sampling of what you'll be getting into. http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... hp?t=66450 If you're referring to using the OEM wiring harness to connect the under dash gauges, they operate off a different circuitry philosophy. You'd be better off wiring them in directly to the sensors.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Gage1970

Post by Gage1970 »

I was referring to after market gauges that bolt under the dash the cheap ones you can get at napa. I want to know if you can take the wiring off those gauges and use it on the stock gauge cluster.
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

It sounds like your dash cluster doesn't work and you want to make it work by switching parts from the napa gauges?
I'm not sure about the connectors on the napa gauges and if they would mate up to your cluster. The cluster itself might be broken and not the wiring to it. Sometimes you can find a new dash cluster on eBay for 50 bucks.
1972 f100 4x4 4 inch lift with dump box kit-sold
1969 f250 4x4 highboy in progress.
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=85251
Kyle
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

I did it to install a sunpro voltmeter in the stock ammeter position. The project is not for the faint of heart.

If it were me I'd figure out the stock stuff. Google basic DC troubleshooting and get a decent volt meter. Electrical troubleshooting is fun and educational if you take the time to understand it. Print out the electrical schematics on the main site and try to understand what's going on.

Post up some pics of what you have going on. Might be easier to offer suggestions as you work through the project.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.