Early '80s Factory Radio

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

Old Greener

Early '80s Factory Radio

Post by Old Greener »

Anyone know if an early '80s factory AM/FM rotary tune/volume radio is a direct bolt-in? Don't have one yet to compare, but I'm thinking it must be very close?
1971 Ranger XLT, 390 auto, longbox, boxwood/seafoam, dealer a/c....a Texas beauty now living the dream north of the border.
dave1972

Re: Early '80s Factory Radio

Post by dave1972 »

Unless you don't want to spend the money, retrosound model two looks very very attractive in our dashes.
dave1972

Post by dave1972 »

In addition to looking good it has Bluetooth, amp power lead, high output wattage. I tried sending a photo from my phone but it won't upload. Will try something else if your interested.
Old Greener

Post by Old Greener »

Thanks Dave1972; I'm looking for a more economical solution with the oem look.

I actually found a unit l locally today for $10, and after a quick check I found that the volume and tune shafts have the same spacing. Looks to be a direct swap, but I won't know until I'm into things. Speakers will going in behind the seat.
1971 Ranger XLT, 390 auto, longbox, boxwood/seafoam, dealer a/c....a Texas beauty now living the dream north of the border.
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

I found that the volume and tune shafts have the same spacing. Looks to be a direct swap, but I won't know until I'm into things. Speakers will going in behind the seat.
I'm interested to hear if you can get this to work. I've often thought about doing this, but never got around to it. I think I gave up on this idea because of the surface area of the newer model face and buttons, which were too big for the radio plate hole on the 68-72 bumps. I have seen some used where the AM/FM numbers on the radio face were obscured.
Steve F.
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
'72 Ranger XLT, 4x2, 390-2V, C6, Wind blue & Wimbledon White (‘Smokey’)
8)
2016 F150 Lariat FX4 Supercrew, Ruby Red
Follow my build thread for 'Smokey': http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=85070