A-Pillar Grab Handle

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

jessetischauser

A-Pillar Grab Handle

Post by jessetischauser »

Hey Guys & Gals,

I recently purchased a '68 F100 4x4 with a lift on it. The wife needs a trampoline to get into it. I was trying to find some sort of grab handle for the passenger side A-Pillar but was unsuccessful. Anybody out there have a good solution before I start trying to make my own?

Heck maybe ill just put a big old piece of rope over there with a few knots tied into it for grip.

Thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1957 International Travelall
1960 Ford Falcon
1962 Lincoln Continental
1966 Ford Bronco U13
1966 Chevrolet Corvette
1968 Ford F100 4x4
MikeB

Re: A-Pillar Grab Handle

Post by MikeB »

Im in the same boat.I’ve seen the chrome grab handle mounted outside left of door and the grab bars for jeeps and 4x4. I was thinking of having a leather strap hangermade by a leather craftsman that I could bolt to Pillar like the first pic or one mounted above the door like the second pic. They won’t look stock so I figured custom made dyed the color of my interior (red). Got to be quality to prevent wifey from busting her .......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1972 F250 4x4 XLT stock but P.O. hacked
2010 F350 CC LB 4x4 stock
jessetischauser

Post by jessetischauser »

MikeB wrote:Im in the same boat.I’ve seen the chrome grab handle mounted outside left of door and the grab bars for jeeps and 4x4. I was thinking of having a leather strap hangermade by a leather craftsman that I could bolt to Pillar like the first pic or one mounted above the door like the second pic. They won’t look stock so I figured custom made dyed the color of my interior (red). Got to be quality to prevent wifey from busting her .......
I like that idea! I wonder how string that A-Pillar will be when screwing something into it. There isn't anyway I could figure to get a large washer or even a nut on the backside.
1957 International Travelall
1960 Ford Falcon
1962 Lincoln Continental
1966 Ford Bronco U13
1966 Chevrolet Corvette
1968 Ford F100 4x4
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Well I think it’s mostly a sheer force situation so it may depend on the fastener more than the sheet metal. I was going to check out rivet nuts (blind nut) because of their size and strength. It’s not a seat belt so it’s minimal force.

If you go with above the door type handle you can get behind the sheet metal from the top by removing headliner. Same thing if wanting to get behind pillar just would be aggravating trying to fish it down but not impossible. Then you could uses a seatbelt bolt retrofit kit.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

MikeB wrote: I was going to check out rivet nuts (blind nut) because of their size and strength.
Definitely the way to go. We use a lot of them at work installed in several customer's mounting panels. Very strong and come in a variety of sizes. 1/4" would work fine for the application.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

sargentrs wrote:
MikeB wrote: I was going to check out rivet nuts (blind nut) because of their size and strength.
Definitely the way to go. We use a lot of them at work installed in several customer's mounting panels. Very strong and come in a variety of sizes. 1/4" would work fine for the application.
Good to know.

Thanks
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

sargentrs wrote:
Randy
Does Installing rivet nuts require the tool or can the nuts be expanded by the bolt?

Thanks
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

You don't need a special tool but there is a technique to it. You want to screw a nut and washer onto a bolt, spin the rivnut up on the bolt until you have about 1/4" of bolt thread showing, insert it in the hole and then use the bolt to squeeze it from the bottom up. Here's a video showing what I mean. https://youtu.be/AfQIYLSKGwI
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

sargentrs wrote:You don't need a special tool but there is a technique to it. You want to screw a nut and washer onto a bolt, spin the rivnut up on the bolt until you have about 1/4" of bolt thread showing, insert it in the hole and then use the bolt to squeeze it from the bottom up. Here's a video showing what I mean. https://youtu.be/AfQIYLSKGwI
Excellent! Thanks
Zorm
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Zorm »

I've got on of those guns, more like a pop-rivet gun, never thought about the nut and bold idea, that's brilliant!!
1971 F250 Camper Special, family owned since 1972
1983 Cherokee, last of the big ones, bought in Italy, family owned since 1998
1965 Corvair Corsa Convertible, 140 engine, 4 speed.

HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life