Mustang Fuel Tank Install (Pics)

Moderator: FORDification

zack

Re: Mustang Fuel Tank Install (Pics)

Post by zack »

do you think there would be enough room between the frame/ tank and the bed floor to fabricate a 90 degree pipe on the tank fill and run a pipe over to make it fill from the bed side? even if it was a squashed oval type pipe so it would clear the bed floor.....Ive seen that oval pipe advertised for some low clearance exhaust applications....
1972 crew highboy project
1972 crew highboy 12v cummins daily driver
1970 f250 2wd ranger xlt camper special (first car)
1970 f100 lwb 2wd driver quality
1976 highboy driver quality
etc, etc, etc........
zack

Post by zack »

hey I just thought of something....how cool would it bee to make the fill located behind the tail light like on a 56' chevy, and other 50's cars, the tail light would be on some type of hinge to open up.......the fabrication might take some time, but it would be pretty slick.....
1972 crew highboy project
1972 crew highboy 12v cummins daily driver
1970 f250 2wd ranger xlt camper special (first car)
1970 f100 lwb 2wd driver quality
1976 highboy driver quality
etc, etc, etc........
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

zack wrote:do you think there would be enough room between the frame/ tank and the bed floor to fabricate a 90 degree pipe on the tank fill and run a pipe over to make it fill from the bed side? even if it was a squashed oval type pipe so it would clear the bed floor.....Ive seen that oval pipe advertised for some low clearance exhaust applications....
It would be tight but it could be done. It would have to be a smaller tube than the fill hole and may have slower filling issues during fuel up.
hotrod ford
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hotrod ford »

This is perfect for what I want to do. The only thing instead of the cap in the bed, would it work for a flip down license plate?
1971 Sport Custom SWB: 360/C6 3.00
1965 Ford Falcon 4Dr: Inline 170 3sp
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

hotrod ford wrote:This is perfect for what I want to do. The only thing instead of the cap in the bed, would it work for a flip down license plate?
Not at the height that my tank is installed. In order to have the license plate fill, the tank would have to be mounted lower than mine, possibly a ways well below the lower frame rail lip. If your truck is lowered, this may not be a feasible option.
Wolf0r

Post by Wolf0r »

My bed isn't done yet but I will figure out something.
http://www.relegalizeindiana.com
1972 F-100 with EFI
1987 Crown Vicky
1990 Crown Vicky
roughneck

Post by roughneck »

:thup: :thup: Awesome work. I know this is an older thread, but I'm new here. I hate the in cab fuel tank, and have wondered what It would take to replace it with an under the bed set up. and since I won't be lowering my truck much, I won't need to worry about it scraping and throwing sparks at the gas tank. 8)
Mach428
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Mach428 »

Da Masta Fabracatah.....looks great Bobby
BlueovalFE

Post by BlueovalFE »

Thanks Bobby for a good write up. I'm late to the party but ordered my tank today. I have the bed off anyway because I installed a 4 link recently and now I'm waiting for this tank swap before it goes to the painter. It makes me happy to know I have a couple of friends that aren't afraid of a little fabrication :lol:
BlueovalFE

Post by BlueovalFE »

Hit a bit of a snag. I no longer have the original crossmember due to installing the 4-link. Looks like I'm going to have to move the rear crossmember back to the end, maybe six inches or so. Hopefully, this will still work. Know more this evening.
fitzwell
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by fitzwell »

BlueovalFE wrote:Hit a bit of a snag. I no longer have the original crossmember due to installing the 4-link. Looks like I'm going to have to move the rear crossmember back to the end, maybe six inches or so. Hopefully, this will still work. Know more this evening.

anyone can restore one, it takes a real man to cut one up.....

We have the tools, we have the technology.... not to mention welders, grinders & other implements of destruction. :wink: It'll work just fine.
As a metter of fact, i AM trying to keep up with the Jones'
Driving like Parnelli, Drinkin' like George
-------------------------------------------------------
Jesus_21

Post by Jesus_21 »

I know this thread is a bit old, but I was wondering if this mod is possible on a '68 short bed? Sorry if this question is a bit nooby. LOL... :roll:
BlueovalFE

Post by BlueovalFE »

Yes, I did it on my '69Shortbed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hillcountryflt
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hillcountryflt »

reading through this thread again. I guess on my flareside, I would just have to pull up the wooden bed to work on mine and I would probably be OK with a smaller tank.
I know this is an old thread, but a very useful one.
1971 F100 Custom SB Flareside;
2016 Explorer;
2020 F150
2016 Harley Ultra Limited
2008 Ford Mustang Deluxe V6
ultraranger
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by ultraranger »

hillcountryflt wrote:....I would probably be OK with a smaller tank.
The 1965-1968 Mustang gas tank has a 16 gallon capacity. 1969 Mustang tank is a 20 gallon tank. 1970 Mustang tank is 22 gallons.

The bottom half of all these gas tanks are the same. Only the upper half is different to accommodate the greater fuel capacity for each tank. This means except for the height dimension, all other dimensions between the 16, 20 and 22 gallon Mustang gas tanks are the same.

If using any of the early Mustang gas tanks, the sending unit needs to be for the specific tank being used for the fuel gauge to read accurately. A '65-'68 Mustang 16 gallon tank needs a sender calibrated for a 16 gallon tank, a '69 20 gallon tank needs a sending unit for a 20 gallon tank, a '70 22 gallon tank needs a 22 gallon sender.
Steve

1969 SWB F100 Ranger. 240-6, C-4, 9" N-case 31-spline Traction-Lok w/3.50 gears.

1968 Mustang. My high school car. Owned since 1982.

2003 Azure Blue Mustang Mach1.