How to Install a Windshield with Stainless Steel Trim

Moderator: FORDification

Canadian Ford Eh

How to Install a Windshield with Stainless Steel Trim

Post by Canadian Ford Eh »

Hey guys! I just endured the very educational experience of installing a front windshield with stainless steel trim, and thought I would put an article on here to hopefully help out others who are considering installing one on their own. So, here is my windshield story:

I got a used windshield out of a truck at a local scrapyard for $50. At this point I am pretty happy because brand new they are about 175 plus tax here. I also got a new seal from NPD (made by Precision Replacement Parts), with the groove for the stainless steel trim around the windshield.

We (my dad and I) tried to put the rubber on the glass when the rubber was at room temperature, and that ended after 45 minutes with a decent amount of swearing and sore fingers. After that failed attempt, we set it by the fire (but not too close) for a while, and that made the rubber much more pliable. The problem we ran into next was that the groove in the rubber is about 1/8” narrower than the glass, so whenever we got a section on it would just pop off again. We didn’t want to tape it because then when it came time to install the glass on the truck we would need to peel the tape off the rubber, risking pulling the rubber off again, or at least allowing the rubber to be pulled off if we accidently pull on it. Here is our solution:

Start with a piece of tape:
Add a second small piece in the middle so there is no sticky side there:
And now you can use that to tape onto the glass, wrap the non-stick portion over the rubber, and tape onto the other side of the glass.
We repeated this as we got more rubber on the glass; about every 6” or so.

After leaving that for a few days, the rubber seemed more willing to stay on (I guess it had stretched enough), so we started putting the stainless steel trim into the groove. I don’t think it matters, but we started with one of the side pieces and then the bottom, other side and top. As we went we removed the tape strips, put in the trim and reapplied the tape (really REALLY didn’t want that rubber coming off when we install the glass).

To get the trim in, you need to get a lip on the rubber under a lip in the trim:

Some sections would go on easily, and others were tougher to do, so we used the specialty Ford tool in the above picture to press the rubber lip under the trim lip.

Here is another view of the specialty Ford tool. I will be selling these for $20 plus shipping if anyone is interested :

Now it came time to actually install the windshield. You need to run a drawstring (I used 1/8” rope) in the groove behind the flap of rubber that will be on the inside of the window (sorry I didn’t get a pic of this, but you can figure out what part that is I’m sure). Start at the bottom in the middle, run it all the way around and overlap the ends by a couple inches. Then tape the rest of the rope to the inside of the glass so you don’t have to worry about it being on the right side of the glass later on.

Now here is something I can’t stress enough: lubrication is very important. We used dish soap and water in a spray bottle. Spray this mixture into the groove where the rope is until you think it is all soaked, then spray some more. This helps a lot in the final part.

Get two people to place the glass onto the truck, and one person inside to look at the seal and get the window centered.

Once it is centered, the people outside should apply gentle pressure in the middle of the windshield. Begin pulling out one of the ends of the drawstring. It should pull that rubber lip over the metal lip on the cab fairly easily during the straight stretches.

When you get to a piece of tape, the person inside should slice it and someone outside can then slide it through (remember it is not sticky in the middle? This way you can keep everything taped on even as you install it, and remove the tape at the very last moment).

In the corners it may get tough to pull the rubber through, so remember the words of the late, great Frank Zappa: “[when pulling the drawstring on the windshield rubber of a bumpside Ford, always use] a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area…here it goes, the circular motion”

Yes, that drugged-up rocker had the right idea. If you find it hard to get the rubber over the metal lip, try moving the rope in circles as you pull.

When you get to the top of the first side you do, start on the other end of the rope. It is easier to get the top on when the bottom is on all the way across. When both ends of the rope are on the top, get someone to hold one end as you pull the other or else you will just pull the rope through and the rubber will not be in place.

When you are done all the way around, give the window some more pressure all over to make sure it is seated well (but not too much, it would be a shame to crack it now!) and make sure the rubber is seated all the way around on the inner lip. When you are done, and there are no cracks in the glass, stand back and admire your handiwork.

Congratulations, you just saved a bunch of money and learned a new skill! Unless you broke the glass in the process, in which case the recommended treatment is 6-8 bottles of beer per day as long as the feelings of shame and self-loathing persist.

I hope this helps a couple people install their own windshields, or in their decision to get a shop to do it. It isn’t that hard, just be patient and don’t be rough on the glass. I’ve heard some people say they did the whole process in 45 minutes for both front and rear window, so the level of difficulty may depend on the seal you get. If I can do it, so can you…
Calfdemon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: How to Install a Windshield with Stainless Steel Trim

Post by Calfdemon »

Very nice "how to" post! Thank you for posting it. My only question is that I was told to use Windshield Sealant between the glass and the rubber (which also holds it in place and eliminates the need for the tape). Once the sealant is in place and tacky, then the rubber will stay on the glass and you can install. I was also told that the Windshield Sealant is needed for a secure wind/water barrier between the glass and rubber because when moisture gathers, there is a chance that the windshield can slip out of the gasket (where-as the rubber grabs the metal much better and sealant is not used there).

Now I am no glass expert and really dont know, so I am only stating what I was told. But they do sell actual windshield sealant in a tube for that exact purpose. So is the sealant something that should be used or is it just optional? I will be doing this exact proceedure soon (although I was leaning away from reinstalling my trim as all I have heard until now is horror stories), and want to make sure there are no problems with your install without using the sealant.
-Rich

Current toys -
69 Ford F350 Crew Cab - 460 / C6 - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... lqgskp.jpg
31 Ford Vicky - 1955 270 Red Ram Hemi / 4 speed - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... bsibvn.jpg

Former toys -
67 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible (sold 9/13) - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... bird-1.jpg
67 Ford Fairlane GT - 390 / 4 speed (sold 7/15) - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... c5hu8z.jpg
terry1167
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by terry1167 »

Hey Canadian Ford,
That's a great tutorial and the pics are VERY helpful. I'm sure this will help out several folks. By the way, looks like you have a great restoration project going. I'd like to see more pics of your truck! :thup:
'72 F250,390,C6,76K Sport Custom, Camper Special "Ole Blu"
'90 F250,460,48K XLT Lariat, Supercab
'88 Lincoln Mark VII LSC, 5.0 H.O.original, was daily driver, now retired
'97 Lincoln Town Car-Cartier,73K, 4.6, fact. dual exhaust,mint/original-Last Big Towncar
'05 GMC Denali XL,6.0 Vortec-for the wife & kids
'02 Cadillac DHS,4.6 Northstar-daily driver
'73 Great Divide 22' travel trailer,restored to original
'79 Mitchell 11' "Challenger XL" cabover camper-restored to original
'88 Lance 11'3" LC 780 cabover-current project
Calfdemon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Calfdemon »

The best part about this tutorial for me is the pics and seeing that someone actually was able to install the trim!! Everyone I have ever heard talk about it said it was a nightmare and most have given up. To the point that I was going to unload mine and not put it back on. But this gives me hope!! :)
-Rich

Current toys -
69 Ford F350 Crew Cab - 460 / C6 - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... lqgskp.jpg
31 Ford Vicky - 1955 270 Red Ram Hemi / 4 speed - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... bsibvn.jpg

Former toys -
67 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible (sold 9/13) - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... bird-1.jpg
67 Ford Fairlane GT - 390 / 4 speed (sold 7/15) - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... c5hu8z.jpg
Canadian Ford Eh

Calfdemon wrote:So is the sealant something that should be used or is it just optional?
After doing some research I found groups who said they use sealant, and some that said they don't. I really dont like the mess of some of those sealers, so I opted not to. I have heard that leaks can be fixed with clear silicone, which is much nicer to work with than any urethane, so I figure worst case is I may need to seal it with silicone or absolute worst is take it out and do it again. As for the windshield slipping out of the gasket, I don't think that will be a problem as everything fits so closely and is so tight that there is really no room for it to go. Unfortunately I won't have this on the road until April, so I won't be able to give any performance feedback. You should do whatever you think is right, this is my first time doing a windshield

As for the trim, you will need 2 people, and if you use the special ford tool you should do just fine. One more thing about the trin: it needs to be the exact right shape (if it's bent you need to bent it right back) because a slight mishape I had kept pulling it out of the rubber. I bent it until it matched the contour of the glass exactly, and all was well.

Thanks for the feedback on the post!
Canadian Ford Eh

terry1167 wrote:Hey Canadian Ford,
That's a great tutorial and the pics are VERY helpful. I'm sure this will help out several folks. By the way, looks like you have a great restoration project going. I'd like to see more pics of your truck! :thup:
Thanks Terry!
I hope it helps someone, I know I always get help from posts like this.
Yeah, the resto is going pretty well, thanks! I have a project update thread but that never got much attention, I have done so much since then, I should really put more pics up.

More pics of my resto can be seen here (some links are for specific topics, others are just general pics):
https://picasaweb.google.com/brown.trou ... oaOrK-xYg#
https://picasaweb.google.com/brown.troutman/70Ford#
https://picasaweb.google.com/brown.trou ... CoatedYet#

Brian
terry1167
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by terry1167 »

Canadian Ford Eh wrote:
terry1167 wrote:Hey Canadian Ford,
Thanks Terry!
I hope it helps someone, I know I always get help from posts like this.
Yeah, the resto is going pretty well, thanks! I have a project update thread but that never got much attention, I have done so much since then, I should really put more pics up.

More pics of my resto can be seen here (some links are for specific topics, others are just general pics):
https://picasaweb.google.com/brown.trou ... oaOrK-xYg#
https://picasaweb.google.com/brown.troutman/70Ford#
https://picasaweb.google.com/brown.trou ... CoatedYet#

Brian
Brian,

Those are great pics. The work you did on the aluminum trim is very impressive! I'll have to look up your thread. I don't know how I missed that one?

Keep us posted on your progress!

Thanks,
Terry
'72 F250,390,C6,76K Sport Custom, Camper Special "Ole Blu"
'90 F250,460,48K XLT Lariat, Supercab
'88 Lincoln Mark VII LSC, 5.0 H.O.original, was daily driver, now retired
'97 Lincoln Town Car-Cartier,73K, 4.6, fact. dual exhaust,mint/original-Last Big Towncar
'05 GMC Denali XL,6.0 Vortec-for the wife & kids
'02 Cadillac DHS,4.6 Northstar-daily driver
'73 Great Divide 22' travel trailer,restored to original
'79 Mitchell 11' "Challenger XL" cabover camper-restored to original
'88 Lance 11'3" LC 780 cabover-current project
papabug71
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by papabug71 »

Nice work! Thanks for the write up.

Now that I found a full set of front & rear windshield trim, I need to get started polishing it up. :thup:
Matt
1971 F-100 Sport Custom - My grandpaws truck
Been in the family since 10/3/'71 (Brand spankin' new)
Mine since 5/7/'94
302 / 3 speed / 3:25's
--Currently undergoing full frame off resto/mod--
papabug71
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by papabug71 »

Canadian Ford Eh, any advise on the drip rail trim? It scares me the most out of all.
Matt
Mine since 5/7/'94
UNCLE BOO

Post by UNCLE BOO »

Great thread, Canadian Ford Eh! And thanks for the photos. I really like the color combination you chose! A while ago I saw a '56 Corvette painted with a dark blue / white combination and thought that it was a great look. I have since been looking here on FORDification for a similar color combination....and here it is! What is that blue color you chose? It is really sharp!

I am going to try and find your project thread, now... :thup:
1953 F100
1972 F250 Ranger XLT/390/Longbox
1968 F100 Ranger longbox (project)
1966 Mustang Coupe / 289-4bbl
1975 Mercury Cougar XR7 / 351M w/351 cleveland "Aussie" heads / 4bbl
Canadian Ford Eh

papabug71 wrote:Canadian Ford Eh, any advise on the drip rail trim? It scares me the most out of all.
The drip rail trim actually wasn't that difficult. I managed to get all but 8" on myself, those last few inches I just needed to wait for a second set of hands to apply enough pressure. The method for installing the drip rail trim is shown below (black = trim, blue = drip rail)

I started with the door pieces, then the front drivers, then passengers. On the doors, because you have a 90 degree bend, place the trim over the rail to make sure you have it at the right hight/horizontal position, then install the vertical part. What I am trying to show in that sketch is that you angle the trim so you can hook that inner lip over the rail, then snap the trim down over the bottom of the rail. This is the part that requires lots of hand strength. If at all possible, don't use a block of wood and a hammer.... I did that on one small section and even with a large contact area, left little waves in the trim.

In the corners you will see that inner tab changes (becomes more horizontal instead of angled down), that is because in the corners the trim don't hook on to the rail from above. I guess that is just too hard for them to make, or not needed.

If you want me to clarify or have any other questions just shoot away, I'll do my best to answer them.

Brian
Canadian Ford Eh

UNCLE BOO wrote:Great thread, Canadian Ford Eh! And thanks for the photos. I really like the color combination you chose! A while ago I saw a '56 Corvette painted with a dark blue / white combination and thought that it was a great look. I have since been looking here on FORDification for a similar color combination....and here it is! What is that blue color you chose? It is really sharp!

I am going to try and find your project thread, now... :thup:

Thanks Uncle Boo! The paints are SS urethanes from Eastwood. The blue is GM Marina or Tyrol blue (metallic). I hung the front sheetmetal yesterday, and am going out now to put on the hood. I'll post some pics on the project thread later today if it doesn't rain/snow (need to be outside for the hood, garage doesn't have the headroom to install it). The metallic is tricky to lay down, but after some experimenting and expert tips, it gets easier.

Brian
papabug71
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by papabug71 »

Thanks for the write up. :thup:

How the hell did they get this stuff on at the factory without bending it up ?!
Matt
Mine since 5/7/'94
48prerunner
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 48prerunner »

great thread should be a sticky found it on google by accident looked for an hour yesterday no luck. :fr: