Rattle canned my truck... STRIPES!

Moderator: FORDification

LilysDad

Rattle canned my truck... STRIPES!

Post by LilysDad »

So yeah, I rattle canned/spray bombed my truck over the weekend. What I thought was going to be a day or two of work turned into at least 15-20 hours and I'm still not done.

The top is four cans of rustoleum almond. The dark blue was some free paint I scored from work that was headed to the dumpster. I've used probably 20 cans of the navy blue on the truck. There is definitely some orange peel and plenty of places where I didn't give the proper attention to body work prior to painting, but I'm relatively happy with how it turned out. All in all, $50 in supplies and free paint isn't bad for a $2k truck that I just got running...

My biggest concern is the hood. You can definitely see zebra stripes in the right angle. I'm hoping after a second round of fine sanding some of that will even out?? Anyone have any suggestions? I've only got a few cans left - I'm thinking sand it down and then apply a bunch of really thin layers to try and even it out...

Anyways, new to the forum and figured I'd share my pics of the progress. I originally planned to rustoleum roll on this thing but free paint and 70 degree weekend motivated me to just attack it.

Truck was primered by PO - all I did was sand it down with 400 grit and wash it off prior to painting.

First coat - haven't sanded yet...

[/img]https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... D7C3E0[img]

After wet sanding with 1500 and adding a second coat. Raining at work today...

Canonman67
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Rattle canned my truck... STRIPES!

Post by Canonman67 »

Looks good. You're giving me thoughts about painting mine now.
Last edited by Canonman67 on Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Good job!
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
LilysDad

Post by LilysDad »

Thanks guys. Wet sanded the hood tonight very thoroughly with 1500 paper. I think I can still see stripes. Will take some pics tomorrow.

Hopefully it's just good enough to buff and be done with it.
PhilsBumps

Post by PhilsBumps »

It actually looks good... I'm likely going the same route with my truck this spring, but I'm almost horrified by how many cans you used... I won't be lucky enough to get them free. :cry: :lol:
Unless I find less crappy body work than I'm expecting when I start sanding, (currently sporting a roll on Rustoleum paint job, likely hiding some bodywork sins), I can't see spending too much on a pro paint job, so this could be a great alternative... yours is inspiring! And my biggest fear is now your reality... stripes on the big surfaces. I'll be watching the replies you get as closely as you will be. :thup:
Phil
'71 F-100 long bed styleside... 360 auto... the beater!
...Even slow progress is progress. :lol:
:fr:
LilysDad

Post by LilysDad »

Sanded down the hood pretty extensively last night with 1500... Scratched all over. Got rid of a lot of the stripes but my sanding technique sucks! Went on youtube and watched some videos. Going to hit it again tonight starting at 1000, 1500 and then finish with 2000 focusing on small sections at a time. I was just going at it holding the paper with my hands last night and you can see where the pressure of my fingers actually was!

Brother in law has a lot of body experience and he's going to help me buff it probably this weekend. Will post some more pics as soon as I can...
LilysDad

Post by LilysDad »

Okay, resanded hood 1000, 1500 and then 2000 by hand. Still lots of scratches but the stripes aren't really visible anymore. Burned through the paint in a few spots on the edges. At this point I'm just going to sand down the rest of the truck and hit it with rubbing compound. It's a $2k truck and the paint job matches appropriately enough, lol.

1970FordTK
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1970FordTK »

Have an old saying in the "refresh" paint world. Its a ten footer, if you can't see it from ten feet away 99% of folks will never know. From the pain staking labor you have done (wet sanding) unless they paint stuff most will never know. After all from the pictures you have posted most would have never know it was a rattle can job unless you told them. :bow:
Old Greener

Post by Old Greener »

I've seen new vehicles in showrooms that didn't look that good. Don't sweat the small things, it looks great from the pictures.
1971 Ranger XLT, 390 auto, longbox, boxwood/seafoam, dealer a/c....a Texas beauty now living the dream north of the border.
PhilsBumps

Post by PhilsBumps »

I am very impressed!
On my budget, (and because my truck, like yours, isn't a super expensive ride), I'm thinking I'm going this route as well. Your results speak for themselves! Even though I'll be buying my paint, I'm easily going to be under $300, since I have time to wait for sales.
A few questions before I get too far into planning, if you don't mind...
The 20 or so cans of blue- does that include inside the bed or any jams? Trying to guesstimate my shopping list. :evil:
Did you use the rubbing compound with a machine or by hand? I know you've worked yourself out with the sanding itself, your hard work definitely shows.
Again, gorgeous budget ride!
With some planning I'll be making mine presentable starting in May, or whenever weather here in the north turns back to bearable.
Keep us updated on your progress!
Phil
'71 F-100 long bed styleside... 360 auto... the beater!
...Even slow progress is progress. :lol:
:fr:
BadApp13

Post by BadApp13 »

That looks great! Nice job!! :thup:
1970 Bump 8)
daveford72

Post by daveford72 »

That looks great :thup:
Wilfred of Ivanhoe

Post by Wilfred of Ivanhoe »

That looks fantastic! ...and not just for a can job either. Been there. Done that. It takes real work, and yours looks great! I am curious how you got the free paint. Is it a source we might be able to use too or a friend thing?
1953 F100 (Waitint for attention)
1969 F100 LWB w/ 72 grille (Daily driver & work truck)
1969 F100 LWB Parts truck
1971 F100 SSWB 4x4 (Current Project)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (Actually the wife's)
LilysDad

Post by LilysDad »

Sorry for disappearing for a bit, guys. Holidays...

The paint was free because it was an old color my company can no longer use and we were just going to throw it out.

I used approximately 20 cans but I didn't paint the bed or interior door jams or anything else. I used three cans of rustoleum "almond" on the top and it'll take some sanding, another coat and buffing before that part is finished. I've wet sanded the hood again and will begin buffing this afternoon.

I don't think I'm going to wet sand the rest of the truck since wet sanding and recoating - just going to go right into polishing with Mguires 105 compound and see how it turns out. I'll post more pics soon.

Thanks for all the kind words guys! There are plenty of F-ups on the paint that you don't see in the pictures but I appreciate the kind words none the less! :)
LilysDad

Post by LilysDad »

Oh, and one more thing. I've been using little $2.99 polishing pads that go onto your hand drill from Harbor Freight. I guess I should just bite the bullet and buy the $20 polisher, lol