Cab mount bushings

Moderator: FORDification

Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Cab mount bushings

Post by Jacksdad »

I was just peeking under my bump to work out how best to route my exhaust (I'm going from a two into one system I welded up a few years ago, to dual mufflers with an H-pipe), and I noticed the seriously squished mounting bushes on the cab. Any recommendations on good replacements? Rubber, polyurethane, or...?
While I'm at it, I wouldn't mind adding a little bit of body lift - probably no more than an inch or two as I don't want to mess with the steering column, bumpers, etc. I read some owners just shim with washers and I was wondering if that was the easiest low buck way to go about it. Being an F350, it's only a few inches lower than a highboy - I'm just just looking to close the gap a little and give the old girl some attitude.

1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Cab mount bushings

Post by sargentrs »

I bought similar to these http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ptp-6 ... 350-pickup for my F100. They fit well. You will need to reuse your old hardware and spacers. Summit also has lift kits http://www.summitracing.com/search/year ... =Ascending
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

Awesome - thanks for that. :thup:
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
hillcountryflt
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hillcountryflt »

You might find yourself purchasing an OEM style cab mount kit from DC or LMC and using the hardware from those for those bushings. Not sure how successful one would be in getting the mounting bolts out in a usable fashion from our old pickups. This project is on my list as well and like the thought of using those bushings from summit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1971 F100 Custom SB Flareside;
2016 Explorer;
2020 F150
2016 Harley Ultra Limited
2008 Ford Mustang Deluxe V6
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

Makes sense. In my favor is the fact that mine never left the Southwest, and the camper shielded the cab from the elements. I only have light surface rust on the underside of the floorpan, and everything looks to be in good shape. I guess I'll find out when I get into it.
Thanks for the heads up :wink:
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

Does the 3" lift require any modifications other than fitting the bushings themselves? I'm thinking about the steering column in particular. Is there enough wiggle room at the point where it passes through the firewall to realign it with the rag joint?
I'm expecting to have to raise the front bumper and light bar as they're both attached to the chassis. Just wondering what else needs to be taken into consideration. Thanks :)