I've got a serious situation going on here....

Moderator: FORDification

Blue_Streak

I've got a serious situation going on here....

Post by Blue_Streak »

So..... new member here from Ontario, Canada.

I've had my '67 F100 for 35 years and started the restoration back in January. Everything is apart. Cab and box off of frame and stripped. I knew I had typical repairs to the cab ... ie cab corners, floor pans , cab mounts , rocker panels , cross brace ends all rotten but easily fixable. I had the cab sent out for media blasting and what I got back broke my heart. The roof from the center of the truck out about 8 inches either side was completely rotted away right at the drip rail as well as most of the drip rail itself in that area. The PO way back so many decades ago must have had something fall on the drivers side cowl area as its all wrinkled and marked up. It had been covered over with bondo all these years and I never knew it. The guy helping me with the fab work said it would probably be about 100 hrs to fix and recommended I find a new cab.
I'm bummed beyond words. I was so excited to be finally giving my girl the restoration she deserves.
So now I am looking for another truck or at least a cab. Rust free or nearly rust free bumps are virtually non-existant up here in the great white north and '67s even more so. Anyone in AZ or TX or NV know of any 1967 trucks?

I have to have a '67! There are things on and not on the '67 that are unique to that year and I prefer to have something more unique than common. ie the dash. '68 and up had the slider climate controls and the '67 had the pull knobs. The radio is also unique to '67. Very minor details but that's who I am , anal. So another question is if I do find a donor truck from '68 - '72 how hard is it to swap out the dash? Has anyone even attempted such a thing or am I better off just to stick it out and find a '67 ?
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: I've got a serious situation going on here....

Post by sargentrs »

Sorry to hear about your dilemma! Yes, the dash can be removed by drilling out the spot welds. http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... hp?t=77300
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Ditto. Dash is no big deal. On mine I just took a sawzall across the top under the dash pad and unbolted the bolts on the bottom and middle brace to remove the face. Took about ten minutes once the guts were removed to pull the face.

Per the cab, I would not worry about it and find a better one. Your feelings for the truck will be homogenous with the experience of rebuilding it and if you use better parts to restore the truck you will most likely get to enjoy it for longer before it needs another rust repair. This weekend I've been cleaning out behind my garage and pulled all the extra body parts for my truck. They aren't great but they are there for wreck or rust repairs down the road.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
69Ford
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 69Ford »

I've have a cab that the upper half is rust free the bottom shot has anyone ever cut the roof off at the bottom of the posts. If that is possible I may have a good roof for someone. Maybe good dash too. I don't think the radio part has been messed with. You may also remove from the cowl up leaving the dash installed that way you don't have to mess with the windshield I'm in northern Minnesota if any one has an interest. Here's a link to it. It is a 69 so the dash would be different than your 67. http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t=82889
1969 Ford F100 Styleside standard cab 360 C6
Blue_Streak

Post by Blue_Streak »

Thanks guys!

Those links really help. Looks like I'm going to be using a '68 and up cab so a dash swap will be in order. I hope its as easy as you guys say.