Bent Bumper Repair?

Moderator: FORDification

lorettalynn

Bent Bumper Repair?

Post by lorettalynn »

bumper.jpg
I'm not going to embarrass myself describing what happened but I managed to bend my (S)Carla's bumper well out of shape today, real bummer. (Her name is Carla, but she goes by Scarla too...72 F100 XLT Styleside) The bend is really in two places it seems - at the bolt and to the left, the paint has cracked from pressure.

Think I can just remove and reshape or should I start saving for a new bumper?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(S)Carla - 1972 F100 Ranger XLT Styleside, 390 V8
Fordyarddog

Re: Bent Bumper Repair?

Post by Fordyarddog »

Ok here's my :2cents: worth on the subject. Look around your area and find a steel fabricator that has a 20 or 40 Ton break press or a heavy duty hydraulic press and see if they can press it back in shape for you. After that you may need to do a little grinding and filler work to get it looking right and then you can sand the entire bumper, prime it and repaint it. Good as new. :clap: I know this will work because I have done it before and we used a heavy duty hydraulic press at a friend's shop and I'll be doing it myself soon on my front and rear bumpers on my F100 68 Flareside. :thup: :thup: :thup:
Man cannot not live alone. He must have a peanut and jelly sandwich and a super large cold could real cold glass of milk. :thup:
lilorbie

Post by lilorbie »

these bumpers are pretty thick.maybe take it off and lay it face down heat it with a rosebud on a torch.then get the biggest sledgehammer you can find and have at it. good luck with your truck.
Fordyarddog

Post by Fordyarddog »

Bad idea. :nono: Bad idea. :nono: The heat will cause the bumper to twist and really the rosebud on a torch will not generate enough heat to really do any good and all a sledge hammer will do is scar the steel and wear your butt out. So please take my suggestion and just try it. It will work if its done right. I guess I have just been lucky. :pray: Oh here's another way. Find you a chrome shop that does only bumpers and they know how to do it correctly by using a hammer press along with a heavy duty hydraulic press. :thup: :thup: :thup:
Man cannot not live alone. He must have a peanut and jelly sandwich and a super large cold could real cold glass of milk. :thup:
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by HIO Silver »

Here's my brother's solution from back in the day....

Attach a hook and chain to the bumper and wrap then secure the chain around a power pole... with a spotter providing direction, slowly apply the throttle to get it close (and presentable).

Yes, start saving for a replacement.
70 F100 LB 2WD, 360FE, E-Street EFI, TKO-500, 76K original miles.. follow my rebuild: The Lo-Buck Bumpside
71 F250 LB, 2WD, 360FE, T18, PS, PB, D60 with 4.11s
73 F100 SB 4WD, 390FE, NP435, +4 on 35s

01 Ferrari 360 Spider F1
01 F150 SuperCrew Lariat 4WD
01 PT Cruiser Limited (DD)
68 Mustang
65 Mustang
Red Mercury

Post by Red Mercury »

I have straightened a couple of bumpers near perfect but not quite as good as new using a hydraulic bottle jack under the drawbar of a heavy farm tractor. Basically a "poor man's press" and a very redneck technique. I took the bumper off the truck and placed a short piece of 2X4 under it and then used the hydraulic bottle jack to press down on several points to get it back into shape. It takes some patience and experimentation but the results were decent. On a chrome bumper, the chrome plating can crack and peel where it has been bent. The story behind this is that I was 17 when I first learned this and desperately needed to figure out how to fix a bent front bumper on a 67 Mercury F100 before my father found out about it! You might say I work best under pressure.
fastEdsel
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by fastEdsel »

Yup I would agree with the bottle jack solution as well. I think that bend should come out easy. When I restored my '64 International 1100A I took the outside mirrors and bumper to a plating company in Lethbridge, Alberta. The bumper was bent slightly more than yours but they actually re-stamped the bumper, plated it chrome and was $320. It looks nice, it looks new but I thought a little pricey. Yours should be an easy fix, just make sure it's well blocked and braced before you put the pressure to it. Definitely try to source a shop with a press and good operator first then sand, prime and re-paint. Good luck, let us know how it turns out! :thup:
lorettalynn

Post by lorettalynn »

Thanks for the suggestions! I decided to try it "redneck style" just in case that'd do the trick before getting into anything more complex and it worked! I padded a cement post (out behind my husband's workplace, where he is the manager so I had permission. :) No good sturdy enough trees in my yard to bump into!)

I through a blanket over the post, lined it up and gave her a little gas a couple of times and managed to bend it back where it was with no further damage. Just a little bent toward the middle from the original mishap and some chipped off paint now. Those should be easy enough to take care of. Glad this worked out, but I was ready to move on to the bottle jack if it didn't.

Top photo is after, with the post I bumped and bottom is the before and after. The light bezel was dinged up already, not from this incident. I would have made a video of the action but didn't think to until after, was just too excited to get it fixed.
:woohoo:
bumperbend.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(S)Carla - 1972 F100 Ranger XLT Styleside, 390 V8
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

:lol: Now that's how to git 'r done!
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
lilorbie

Post by lilorbie »

fordyarddog i am not sure about the rosebud,s that you have? but mine put out more than enough heat. just take it in small steps. i did not mean to heat up all of the bumper at the same time. also if you work from the back side it should not leave any marks ,small at the most.in the state where i live there is no one that doe,s chrome plating. we have a powder coating shop close by but that is it.