Rusty Cab Corner

Moderator: FORDification

JRM21

Rusty Cab Corner

Post by JRM21 »

Hi all, not sure if this is the right subforum for this question so let me know if it's not.

I just got my 72 F250 out of winter storage and noticed that a section of the cab corner on the drivers side is starting to rust. It hasn't rusted through, but it's getting there. The area affected is about the size of a golfball. I know the smart thing to do would be to bite the bullet and replace the whole thing, but I don't imagine that's a fun job so I want to explore my options first. Has anyone here had any experience patching or replacing rusty cab corners?

J
hillcountryflt
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Rusty Cab Corner

Post by hillcountryflt »

If there is a little rust, there is more.
Have you looked in from the inside with a flashlight to see what it looks like down in the cab corners. My shop vac sucked out a lot of stuff down there. However, if the area with rust damage is small and no signs of the cancer having spread, then patching should work.
Afterwards, I would work some Por 15 into the cab corners to reduce the likelihood of rust hitting that area in the future.
I did replace my cab corners using a no weld approach - 3M Body Panel Adhesive - and pop rivets and a flange tool. Have not finished it yet, but if you try it, make sure you have two people on the project with one person holding a mallet or something for backup when pop riveting the seam together. Also make note of how the lines on the replacement cab corner match up with the truck. That structural ridge/groove on the back side of mine and the replacement panel were off a little bit and it is going to make for a lot of work for this amateur.
1971 F100 Custom SB Flareside;
2016 Explorer;
2020 F150
2016 Harley Ultra Limited
2008 Ford Mustang Deluxe V6