Hood letters spacing

Moderator: FORDification

BradFromAustin

Hood letters spacing

Post by BradFromAustin »

I've got a 69 F100 and Im looking for a resource on FORD letter placement and spacing on the hood. Previous owner removed them and I want to add them back. The problem is--looking from under the hood at the filled holes--the 69 letter emblem posts don't match up with the holes. I suspect that the hood is not a 69 hood. Regardless of that issue I need to drill new holes and have been unable to track down any measurements. Anyone have a resource for this? At a minimum of I really need is the space between the F-O, O-R, and the R-D. Again, this is for a 69. The letters are smaller than 70+ and are grooved. Thank you in advance for any help.
1969 F100 SWB, 302
Mach428
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Hood letters spacing

Post by Mach428 »

Okay, here you go. These were taken from my bone stock 69 that my Dad bought new and I've owned for 40 years, so I know it has not been altered.

O and R, distance is 12 3/4"
F and O, distance is 12"
R and D, distance is 12 1/4"

I know these measurements appear odd but I think you will see why when you consider the different shape of the letters.
Distance from top of letters to bottom of body seem running horizontally is 7/8"

I took measurements from the most protruding part of each letter. I would start with the O and R, and divide the measurement to apply at the exact center point of the hood, then go from there. I would also make a cardboard template that you can establish the holes then tape into place.

Hope this helps
BradFromAustin

Post by BradFromAustin »

Thank you! This is helpful. I'll give it a go.
1969 F100 SWB, 302
mstpn2

Post by mstpn2 »

I had a similar problem when I went to install the FORD letters on my hood, the previous owner had removed them and covered up the holes. I bought the letters for 1969 model and they didn't line up with the holes, instead of drilling holes tho I just returned the letters and bought new ones for a different year (I forget which years 67-72 are different). Once I got the new letters it was super easy to find the holes because everything lined up correctly, this was much easier than drilling. Once I got into it I was super glad I didn't drill, it would have been a big pain and taken a lot more effort than just getting the right parts, just my 2 cents.