Bed modification

Moderator: FORDification

Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Bed modification

Post by Lone Ranger »

Hey everyone so I have an 8 foot bed I picked up for my 69 highboy and it's in rough shape. Now I love flatbeds and boxes and if I had two trucks still id have one of each, but I don't. I had an idea the other day of trying to have both in one. What if I made a flat bed and instead of having 12 inch removable wooden stake rack sides what if I cut the box five inches above the bump and five inches below the bump all the way down the side? So the bump would run straight from nose to tail but on the flatbed it would be a removable "stake"? Does this make sense? I wish I could draw it for everyone but I can't get pictures to work on here. I can't decide if this would be cool looking or totally stupid looking. What do you guys think? Are there any other box mods people have done or seen? Like integrated toolboxes or chopping out some bedrail for a welder control panel to sit flush with the outside of the box body. What other off the wall box ideas are there? Thanks in advance
1972 f100 4x4 4 inch lift with dump box kit-sold
1969 f250 4x4 highboy in progress.
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=85251
Kyle
48prerunner
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Bed modification

Post by 48prerunner »

Im a little confused the flat bed floor would have to be above the tires, so would the bump on the removable rack line up with the one from the cab? If you dont have photoshop you could go old school take some pics or photo copies of a side view and cut them up and tape it back together to see what it looks like no drawing required.
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

Yeah the bump on the bed would line up with the bump on the cab. Basically just chop the whole bump on the bed off and stick it to the stake rack. I've seen where the mud and rock crawler guys cut doors in different ways and wondered if guys have done it with boxes. I saw a picture of a bump on some mad max looking movie where the box was cut in interesting places
Kyle
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

Kyle
SeapineF37

Post by SeapineF37 »

think i get where you're going. interesting idea. sides wouldn't actually be that hard to do i dont think. the rear / tailgate would be the complicated part. would you cut the tailgate? have top hinged or just removable like the sides? plus you would have to deal w the taillights.
1972 F350 seapine green cab/chassis drw
only one who has learned much can fully appreciate his own ignorance. louis l'amour
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

I had thought just about leaving the tailgait off and having the lights be mounted to the at bed in the rear. Most of the bed would get scrapped except the bump on the outer skin. The rest could be a regular flatbed with steel headache rack and wood bed floor. You could maybe do a tailgate pin and fold like jeeps do. Might have to fab it all tho
Kyle
Wilfred of Ivanhoe

Post by Wilfred of Ivanhoe »

What you are suggesting sounds very doable. Like most things, it will be all about the execution. Lots of good ideas turn out badly due to lack of skill or what have you. Also, some really weird things can look good if done well. I believe your "Bump Flat Bed" idea has great potential. I would love to see it done.
1953 F100 (Waitint for attention)
1969 F100 LWB w/ 72 grille (Daily driver & work truck)
1969 F100 LWB Parts truck
1971 F100 SSWB 4x4 (Current Project)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (Actually the wife's)