How to install door check springs?

Moderator: FORDification

Timd

How to install door check springs?

Post by Timd »

Does anyone know how to install door check Springs? I can't seem to get it to expand far enough.

Thanks
1969 Ford F100 Custom Cab
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: How to install door check springs?

Post by sargentrs »

I've had some luck with this technique before. Fasten 1 end of the spring to a fixed object. Grab a handful of washers that are a larger diameter than the spring. Somehow pull the other end of the spring and stick washers between the coils. Run a long zip tie thru the center of the spring. Zip it just far enough to secure the washers but leave plenty of slack. The zip tie is just to keep the washers from popping out and hitting you in the face. When you have the spring spread out far enough, install it and pry out the washers.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

sargentrs wrote:I've had some luck with this technique before. Fasten 1 end of the spring to a fixed object. Grab a handful of washers that are a larger diameter than the spring. Somehow pull the other end of the spring and stick washers between the coils. Run a long zip tie thru the center of the spring. Zip it just far enough to secure the washers but leave plenty of slack. The zip tie is just to keep the washers from popping out and hitting you in the face. When you have the spring spread out far enough, install it and pry out the washers.
That's a good idea
sikner51

Post by sikner51 »

Does anyone know the length and size of the door check spring so i can try to find one a lowe's.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

I don’t know the length/size, but you should be able to check in the "Parts for Sale" section. Someone's gotta have them sitting on a shelf in their garage. That's what I did for my driver door.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
Timd

Post by Timd »

I will try and remember to get measurements tomorrow since I still can't get it installed.:)
sikner51

Post by sikner51 »

Thanks for the comments if you get a chance to measure them it would help alot put my driver door on with the good sping and didn't measure it.
Timd

Post by Timd »

3 3/8 long
3/4 wide
sikner51

Post by sikner51 »

thanks man :fr:
sikner51

Post by sikner51 »

Timd wrote:I will try and remember to get measurements tomorrow since I still can't get it installed.:)
Hey did you get you check spring on i order me a set from Dennis Carpenter got it on on the 3rd try with a screw driver make sure you hook the spring on the moving piece first hope this help.
Timd

Post by Timd »

No I wasn't able to get mine installed, I will try what you did.
Timd

Post by Timd »

I did what you suggested and it is installed. I am disappointed with the spring I purchased from Dennis Carpenter, the gauge metal isnt the same as the original so the door functions differently and is why it was so hard to get on.

Thanks for the help.
sikner51

Post by sikner51 »

I agree about the gauge of metal and not close to the factory one, but glad to hear you got it on.
ok68crewcab
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by ok68crewcab »

Another tip is to tie a string to the spring so you can easily retrieve it when it falls down in the cavity below the door hinge. You are going to drop the spring at least once during the install.
2 Blessed 2 Be Stressed
Critter1

Post by Critter1 »

This is my first post here.... glad to meet ya! :D

I just did the springs on my 72. Although it took an extra set of eyes, hands and a flashlight.. it worked quite well. I had a flathead screwdriver with a notch taken out of the middle of the blade. I normally use it for assisting with throw out bearing clips in VWs. Anyway, I put the screwdriver down the middle of the spring catching the other end in the notch of the screwdriver. I hooked the other end of the spring onto the outer hook near the hinge. With the second guy looking up into the door jamb with a flashlight being my guiding eyes, I pushed the tip pf the screwdriver toward the inner spring hook until it was close enough for the second guy to assist with another screwdriver by guiding the spring to where it needs to be. Hope this helps.