Dont do this!

Moderator: FORDification

Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Dont do this!

Post by Lone Ranger »

I was going through some older photos on my phone and found this one a few years back. This is my 72 f100 4x4 (sold now). I filled the truck up with fuel and drove it straight home. I must have parked on a slight incline and came out a few hours later to find this.
I was able to sand it all down and repainted it but it made sick to find it like this. My old man said when he was younger he did it to an almost brand new 76 highboy. Don't overfill your tank and park on an incline on a hot day! I've seen many pictures of these trucks with no paint under the tank fill. Anybody else ever done this?
1972 f100 4x4 4 inch lift with dump box kit-sold
1969 f250 4x4 highboy in progress.
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=85251
Kyle
Ranchero50

Re: Dont do this!

Post by Ranchero50 »

Diesel doesn't do it. :)
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

This is true. I would love to have a cummins in mine. You want to put one in my truck? :D
Kyle
1972hiboy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1972hiboy »

:eek: :eek: :cry: oh man that would have made me sick to my stomach too...........
Rich
1973 f350 super c/s 460/c6 22k orig miles
1972 f350 srw crewcab special 390
1972 f250 4x4 sport custom 390fe Red
1972 f250 4x4 custom 360 FE " Ranger Ric"
1972 f250 4x4 custom 84k og miles 390
1971 f250 4x4 sport custom 56k og miles. 360
1970 f250 4x4 428 fe hp60 205 d60
Dont eat yellow snow.....
69Ford
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 69Ford »

Been there done that. Its a sad feeling.
1969 Ford F100 Styleside standard cab 360 C6
59yblockf100

Post by 59yblockf100 »

been there too,this happens alot, :( :(
jimmy828
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jimmy828 »

I wonder if that will happen with the modern day paints such as urethanes :hmm:
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

This was a modern paint. I had only painted it a few months prior to this picture. It was just a mid grade paint from my napa store. Can't remember what kind it was tho.
Kyle
MadJoe

Post by MadJoe »

Lone Ranger wrote:I was going through some older photos on my phone and found this one a few years back. This is my 72 f100 4x4 (sold now). I filled the truck up with fuel and drove it straight home. I must have parked on a slight incline and came out a few hours later to find this.
I was able to sand it all down and repainted it but it made sick to find it like this. My old man said when he was younger he did it to an almost brand new 76 highboy. Don't overfill your tank and park on an incline on a hot day! I've seen many pictures of these trucks with no paint under the tank fill. Anybody else ever done this?

That's funny, a couple weeks ago I did exactly that. My entire road is on a slant, and the way I park the truck normally the driver's side is on the lower side. I filled it up one day and parked it as usual not really thinking about it. Well, it was unseasonably warm the next day, so when I came out it was to an active fuel stream gushing down the side of my truck. I just turned it around and cleaned up what I could, and then vowed to never fill it up to the top again because I know I'll forget. I chalked it up to a worn out cap, so I got a locking one. That one was even loser, so I cut a gasket out of chemical-resistant rubber I had laying around and bolstered it. Now I get a suction noise every time I open the cap.
1971 F-350 DRW SWB Stake Body
360 FE
C6 transmission
OEM disc brakes
OEM power steering
Dana 70 4.10 rear end
69Ford
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 69Ford »

There are two types of cap's vented and unvented. If you use the unvented cap on a unvented fuel system it will create a vacuum in your fuel tank causing your engine to strive for fuel as it is fighting for fuel against the vacuum. This can be very hard to diagnose. Sometimes with a full tank that was filled with cold gas on a hot day can cause a pressurized condition in the tank forcing gas out of a vented cap. Especially if that cap already has fuel against it. As parking the truck on a slant drivers side lower. I'm not a 100% sure but think the early bumps had an unvented fuel system requiring a vented cap later bumps have a vented fuel system no need for vented cap.
1969 Ford F100 Styleside standard cab 360 C6
PetesPonies

Post by PetesPonies »

The paint was the problem. I'm betting it was acrylic enamel and without hardener used, right?
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

PetesPonies wrote:The paint was the problem. I'm betting it was acrylic enamel and without hardener used, right?
I don't remember what type of paint I used. It was a mid grade automotive from Napa. Had hardener in it but no clear coat.
Kyle
MadJoe

Post by MadJoe »

69Ford wrote:There are two types of cap's vented and unvented. If you use the unvented cap on a unvented fuel system it will create a vacuum in your fuel tank causing your engine to strive for fuel as it is fighting for fuel against the vacuum. This can be very hard to diagnose. Sometimes with a full tank that was filled with cold gas on a hot day can cause a pressurized condition in the tank forcing gas out of a vented cap. Especially if that cap already has fuel against it. As parking the truck on a slant drivers side lower. I'm not a 100% sure but think the early bumps had an unvented fuel system requiring a vented cap later bumps have a vented fuel system no need for vented cap.
I am fairly certain the '71's and newer had the venting system, but I can't be absolutely certain. I really need to look and see if my tank has it or not, I've just been being lazy. But, because I'm not sure, I have been pretty good about popping the cap off every time I open the door to get in the truck to normalize the pressure in the tank "just in case". I don't typically drive it long distances, either. Today was a rare exception where I went 30 miles to work because I have an appointment to get a quote on rebuilding the engine after work and they wanted to see it (I think they might think the engine is already out of the truck, so this could be interesting).

And now the paint under my cap is a big mess. Apparently the PO was aware of this potential issue and never allowed it to happen because the truck hasn't been painted since the '80's and that area was fine prior to my screw up. :doh:
1971 F-350 DRW SWB Stake Body
360 FE
C6 transmission
OEM disc brakes
OEM power steering
Dana 70 4.10 rear end
PetesPonies

Post by PetesPonies »

Acrylic enamel gets reduced with an acrylic reducer, but doe snot need hardener. Many times it is sprayed with hardener which makes it more durable, but it will cure without it.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance