BODY MOUNT SPECS

Moderator: FORDification

marz68
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

BODY MOUNT SPECS

Post by marz68 »

I am getting ready to make some body mounts for my truck but have not removed the cab from the frame to get some measurements. Dose anybody have pictures or info on them, cause I also want to buy some new ones.
I need to know if the mount has a hole the size of the bolt that goes threw
or is it larger so that part of the bushing goes threw, I also need to know
how big of round and tall the bushing is. This is for front and rear mounts.
Any help would be appreciated. :thup: I will be posting some more frame updates as soon as I get the mounts done.
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: BODY MOUNT SPECS

Post by flyboy2610 »

Are you talking about the metal plates attached to the cab, or the brackets attached to the frame?
I'm not real clear on what you want, here.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

I don't have the rubber pads measured, but at least here's a little info:

Here's a view of a comparison between the stock rear cab mounts and the LMC replacements. See the raised area around the bolt hole on the rubber? That raised portion fits the hole exactly, to keep things from sliding around.

The front mount pads are virtually the same. Here's a picture I took when I was assembling my truck. Turns out the metal sleeve they provide is too long and had to be trimmed up by the amount shown, in order to tighten it down:

I also found the LMC replacements to be way too thick, raising the front of the cab up more than it needed. I was going to have to trim them down:

In fact, after trying for a little while to get these to fit right, I ended up tossing them and just using some good clean original pads I had from a parts truck instead...they fit better.

Here's a close-up picture of the left front body mount I took immediately after my frame came back from the powdercoaters, showing the nick left in the hole by their crane. I wasn't worried about it, just ground it down and installed the mounts.

Here's a picture of the rear mount area with the mounts installed (taken during the disassembly:

The holes in this crossmember are the same size as those on the front mounts.

Hope this helps. :D
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
460 crew
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 460 crew »

Prothane has nice mounts, what I used but down side is they come with no hardware so you have to save your old sleeves and bolts or make your own and buy some new bolts.
1970 4x4 Crewcab build and 12v cummins conversion
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=17179
marz68
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by marz68 »

Wow! Keith and guy's thank's .
This is exactly the info that I was looking for .
I will start building the metal mount's tonight and will post some pics for you guy's soon.
Chasbod
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Chasbod »

Clarification: Are the stock sleeves larger diameter than the aftermarket? I was hoping to use my original hardware after reading about all the issues with the aftermarket hardware.
71 F100 302/3.03 Project Truck Underway
460 crew
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 460 crew »

I know you use them over with the prothane mounts but Keith will have to voucher for the rubber replacments.
1970 4x4 Crewcab build and 12v cummins conversion
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=17179
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

The stock sleeves are much larger than the aftermarket replacements. In fact, you can't mix/match original pieces with aftermarket stuff, not even the bolts....at least from my experience with the LMC replacements. I don't know if other vendors' replacement pieces are different.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
PSB

Re: BODY MOUNT SPECS

Post by PSB »

I apologize for reviving another old thread, but I searched the cab mount, body bushing threads and couldn't find the answer.

I'm putting my cab back on this weekend and have all new poly bushings and new hardware. The instructions don't specify which of the cab bushings are front and which are rear. There is a 1/4" difference in height.

I took measurements from the ground to the mounts on the frame, but it's still not clear where I should be putting the taller ones.

I appreciate the help. Thanks in advance.
1967 F100 Long Bed, 240 I6, 3 speed-on-the-tree
wartmeister

Post by wartmeister »

I just installed new LMC rubber cab mounts on my 69 short bed. I noticed that the sleeves were different length. The bushings are a bit thicker on the front, so I concluded that the longer sleeves belonged there. When installed, neither front or rear mounts seemed snug enough because the sleeves were all too long. Then I read this thread tonight and see that the sleeves should be shortened to "fit". So tomorrow I will put the shorter sleeves on the front mounts and cut the longer sleeves to fit the rear. What a deal.
urchinhead

Post by urchinhead »

I’m dealing with this same situation. No one except LMC lists a set of the radiator core supports, so I bought the entire set from LMC despite knowing they usually have the crappiest parts.

I was able to salvage the body mounts, but one radiator support was rusted together, and I was forced to drill it out after no other tactic worked.

I believe that Dennis Carpenter might have a better set of cab mounts, and I might order a set to compare. I was hoping to re-use the factory steel sleeves, but one is very rusted. I’ll post pictures of what shakes out from this . . .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1970 F100 Custom 2WD, SWB, 360 FE, np435
1964 Galaxie 500 Convertible, 390, Cruise-o-Matic
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u309 ... fa6562.jpg