I've done so many cowl repairs . . .

Moderator: FORDification

choppermike

Re: I've done so many cowl repairs . . .

Post by choppermike »

PetesPonies wrote:If you want no air venting in the truck, sure do it. Why would doing this be any different than any other metal replacement? It wouldn't . So it could be done,not smart IMO.
Yes I do not want the air venting on this project. I installed late model A/C. Just wondered if anyone here has done this.
PetesPonies

Post by PetesPonies »

Where does the fresh air for the AC come from?
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance
1968f250429

Post by 1968f250429 »

Somebody used to make a cover like they do for the mustang to keep the leaves out . It could be removed when you want airflow. Saw it in a California truck catalog when they had a truck division. Haven't found it since.
choppermike

Post by choppermike »

PetesPonies wrote:Where does the fresh air for the AC come from?
From a vent under the hood near the firewall. The Unit is Crown Vic.
Stihlmanmike

Post by Stihlmanmike »

I have a 70 f250 I've had disassembled for about 6 years now, but I am resurrecting the project. The last bit of metal fab I have to do on the cab is reataching the cowl. But in an effort to create a custom look and reduce the debris that falls in there, I cut out the slots in the cowling, and tried to weld in expanded sheet. This has proven to be very difficult welding. Anyone tried this before? I'll post pics tomo.
PetesPonies

Post by PetesPonies »

Welding the low carbon steel of expanded metal is not a problem. It's easy. ut you have to be careful of warping with what you are attempting.
Pete's Ponies
Stihlmanmike

Post by Stihlmanmike »

PetesPonies wrote:Welding the low carbon steel of expanded metal is not a problem. It's easy. ut you have to be careful of warping with what you are attempting.
That's encouraging, I'll keep at it then. Back when I started this I was having trouble with the thin expanded metal just melting away. But I'm a little better welder now so I'll give it another go. Also my phone takes too big of pictures so I'll have to figure out how to upload
PetesPonies

Post by PetesPonies »

Expanded steel isn't so thin it should be a problem,. Are you sure you aren't taking about perforated steel? Big difference and I took you for your word. You are using a MIG welder? I can weld paper thin metal, so it's all about the setting and your ability. But even ability isn't enough if the heat and wire feed are not adjusted correctly.
Pete's Ponies
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

Stihlmanmike wrote:Also my phone takes too big of pictures so I'll have to figure out how to upload
The only way I've figured out is to take a photo with my phone, move it to the PC, resize it with some Windows-based photo program of my wife's, then post the results. Yes, it should be easier than this, but I haven't figured anything else yet.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

I bought a magnetic cowl vent cover for my Fairlane. Slap it on if it's going to be parked under trees or if there's going to be hard rain. Peel it off and throw it in the trunk when I don't need it. Just a piece of thin magnetic sheet the I cut to fit. The 1st gen Mustangs have an aftermarket cover out of plexiglass, with a seal, that has threaded knobs that just drop on and snug up. Could improvise that but the magnetic sheet works well for me.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

Love this. May certainly be done on the 67' to seal up inside stop the rust and build and mesh filter. Thanks for the thread :thup:
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
ZeroBurn07

Post by ZeroBurn07 »

So .. i'm having a hard time finding a donor cab to replace my cowl .. what years of a cab can I take the cowl? I have a 69 .. can I remove the cowl off of a 74? That cowl section looks the same to me.. but I'm not sure. I'd hate to go down there and remove it and find out it won't work.
PetesPonies

Post by PetesPonies »

sargentrs wrote:I bought a magnetic cowl vent cover for my Fairlane. Slap it on if it's going to be parked under trees or if there's going to be hard rain. Peel it off and throw it in the trunk when I don't need it. Just a piece of thin magnetic sheet the I cut to fit. The 1st gen Mustangs have an aftermarket cover out of plexiglass, with a seal, that has threaded knobs that just drop on and snug up. Could improvise that but the magnetic sheet works well for me.
Sorry to say, but that is crap. Just covering up the needed repair . .maybe temporarily, but I do mean for s shot time. Fix it right.
Pete's Ponies
PetesPonies

Post by PetesPonies »

ZeroBurn07 wrote:So .. i'm having a hard time finding a donor cab to replace my cowl .. what years of a cab can I take the cowl? I have a 69 .. can I remove the cowl off of a 74? That cowl section looks the same to me.. but I'm not sure. I'd hate to go down there and remove it and find out it won't work.
So your cowl is so far gone it cannot be repaired?
Pete's Ponies
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

PetesPonies wrote:Sorry to say, but that is crap. Just covering up the needed repair . .maybe temporarily, but I do mean for s shot time. Fix it right.
Oh yeah, for sure! No question about it should be fixed correctly. I only mentioned it for those with a leaky cowl that can't get to it right now. Also if it's going to be sitting outside for a while and you want to keep it covered so water doesn't accumulate. Thanks for posting your repair so the rest can see how it's done! :thup: 8)
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.