Dennis Carpenter patch panels

Moderator: FORDification

brownac1983

Dennis Carpenter patch panels

Post by brownac1983 »

Hey guys, before I pull the trigger I need an opinion. The Dennis Carpenter panels are a little more than twice as much as the other places (LMC). Are they better panels? I'll gladly pay what they're asking, but wouldn't want to if I'm just getting the same product. Specifically, the panels that I need are door outer repair panels (lower door skins) and a drivers side floor pan for a '67 F-250 4x4.

One other question. When doing patch panels for very localized rust, do you install the whole panel as designed or just cut off what you need?
71Fe2O3

Re: Dennis Carpenter patch panels

Post by 71Fe2O3 »

I haven't used them, but I have read many attestations to the quality of DC panels, and the lack thereof of LMC panels, here and elsewhere. You might also be able to find a local body shop supplier who can source quality pieces for less than DC.
A body shop guy told me that you want to use enough of the patch panel to get above the rusty area, not much more, the rationale being that if it rusts out again down the road you aren't cutting and welding in the same place.
Fred

1970 F100 4WD short bed, 360 engine, very rusty plow and yard truck

1971 F100 2WD long bed, 302 engine, on the road

1968 F100 2WD long bed, 360 engine, stripping for parts
brownac1983

Re: Dennis Carpenter patch panels

Post by brownac1983 »

Thanks. I went ahead and got the Dennis Carpenter panels as I was in the area today anyway. They look to be very good quality. The counter guy said that he's used both the LMC patch panels and the DC ones and that the DC ones fit better and were heavier made.