How to Prep and Paint Interior of Front Clip?

Moderator: FORDification

colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

How to Prep and Paint Interior of Front Clip?

Post by colnago »

I'll be pulling the front clip off next week, so I can do my engine/tranny swap. While I'm at it, this may be the only chance I get to freshen up the engine compartment. Does anyone have recommendations for grease/rust removal, and primer/paint application? Should I get a compressor and guns, or should I just use paint bombs? Any pointers appreciated.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: How to Prep and Paint Interior of Front Clip?

Post by jzjames »

I like to do this stuff by hand,take my time. There is easier ways but usually just in well equipped body shops.
Clean by hand using lots of rags. Sand by hand, remember the final paint is only going to be as smooth as the prepped surfaces.
I also like the spraybomb engine enamels that's out there now. I don't always use primer with the engine enamels, I use Duplicolor.
You can get a nice finish with the spray cans if you're good at it. :thup:
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

I clean off the grease and oil and then sandblast the inner fenders and core support. No need for primer if you use a good paint and paint the parts immediately after blasting.
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

On mine I went over it and scraped all the thick grease off then hit it with a few engine degreasers. Worked real good. Wire brushes were a big help. High temp engine paint sprays real nice, looks sharp and lays flat.
1972 f100 4x4 4 inch lift with dump box kit-sold
1969 f250 4x4 highboy in progress.
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=85251
Kyle